We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baby Elephant on the beach outside Amari?

Norway
Level Contributor
11 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Baby Elephant on the beach outside Amari?

Good morning,

I remember years back when there was a man that brought his baby elephant to the beach and allowed the elephant his bath in the sea every afternoon.

Do you know if he is stil there? The kids just loved to look at this, and to feed him after the bath!!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baby Elephant on the beach outside Amari?

I have never seen an elephant on the beach in several years of visiting Samui.

You can visit the elephants on a tour near the waterfall but it is not an ideal place for the elephants and they try to take money for every movement.

Sadly you do see monkeys, lizzards, birds etc.

Sydney, New South...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Baby Elephant on the beach outside Amari?

Hi,

I saw the man with the elephant when I stayed at Amari in 2005. I stayed there last year but, didn't see the beach elephant again. It was an amazing sight, but just got back yesterday from 2 weeks in Samui, and found the Numerang waterfall elephant show amazing........but I would like to see the beach elephant again.....

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baby Elephant on the beach outside Amari?

Hi

Shoot me if you like but elephants shouldn't even be in koh Samui in the first place let Alone the beach. Poor animals.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,817 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baby Elephant on the beach outside Amari?

No Pea, I am with you!

Perth
Level Contributor
680 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baby Elephant on the beach outside Amari?

Me too Pea!

We will be avoiding anything to do with using animals for entertainment!

Wayvan

Wales
Level Contributor
583 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baby Elephant on the beach outside Amari?

Think elephant was owned by Muang Kulaypan hotel. It hasn't been there since 2006 it got too big and I think it was or could have been a danger to the public on the beach. It was very cute when it was a baby but not really the place for it to live it's life.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baby Elephant on the beach outside Amari?

Will never forget my first experience of Chaweng a number of years back.

We had just arrived and were staying at what was then called the Blue Lagoon resort ( now its either changed it's name or been demolished).

We had just settled onto a sun lounge when we looked ahead at the sea and saw this elephant defecating in the shallows right in front of us.

I certainly was put off swimming in the sea that day!

The children of hotel guests certainly looked forward to its daily walk around the hotel but I was not impressed with elephants at a beach resort.

I normally love these great animals but not close to my sun bed!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
283 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baby Elephant on the beach outside Amari?

I am here at the Amari at the moment and have not seen an elephant at all ! Apparently there was one here 2 weeks ago but it was part of a wedding procession!

P.s. - I'm with Pea and TM on this one !

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baby Elephant on the beach outside Amari?

I think most of us would agree baby elephants should be with their family or even if they are an orphan with another heard who always readily adopt.

For those of you interested:-

There is a mainland Elephant sanctuary south of Hua Hin at Kui Buri where Elephants live free in the wild but are protected and watched over.

If any of you visit the mainland area well worth going. Visitors are welcome and it is good to support them . You view from a distance with a park guide.

This is where the baby elephants should be :- this was taken last Saturday so you know this is current and how they are happily enjoying right now :)

www.youtube.com/watch…

www.youtube.com/watch…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYsT_nff8w4

We must be fair though, so many tourist do not know such places exist and I am sure the more people who know, the more will visit, and the more such projects can do for the elephants and other animals.

Edited: 7:07 am, July 11, 2012
Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Baby Elephant on the beach outside Amari?

Notice in that first video clip how healthy they all look - certainly a great deal different from elephants you see at the tourist show places and giving rides, they look so healthy and happy.

In the 3rd clip it also shows gaurs and banteng in the wild, beautiful, happly co-existing with the elephants, perhaps they can teach 'us' a thing or two :)