We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

top three things to do when in koh samui

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
top three things to do when in koh samui

please can everyone have a go at listing the top three things we must do when in koh samui.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: top three things to do when in koh samui

Hi

1 explore the island

2 day spa

3 have dinner under million stars on the beach ( any restaurants that's set table and chairs right on the beach will do).

This is my top 3 things to do. I am / we are lazy people when on holidays.

Have fun

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: top three things to do when in koh samui

Koh Samui is basically a place to relax as it's a small island so there's not much activities but that's why we like it.

1)Hire a car or bike and tour the island

2)Daily massage

3)Fabulous Thai Food with your toes in the sand.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,413 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: top three things to do when in koh samui

Hi

oh crikey, only 3 . ..

1) Hire a car and explore the island, see what is off the beaten track

2) get a ferry to Koh Phangan and explore the island in a songthew

3) have lots of massages / pedicure

4) go to a ladyboy show

5) eat lots of food

6) buy a really expensive handbag

7) play pool in a lovely bar

8) lay on the beach at night listening to the waves and enjoying the stars

Sorry, can't just do 3!

Canberra
Level Contributor
583 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: top three things to do when in koh samui

We go there for

1. Food,

2. Relaxation, massages/spa, food

3. Sightseeing (hire a car), boat trips, food

4. Food

5. Have a holiday, chill out, read a book by/in the pool, food

6. Food

If you enjoy Thai food and are willing to be a little adventurous, there are endless opportunities for southern Thai and Samui-specific dishes, you just have to keep your eyes open and get away from the main resort / bar / commercial areas.

I don't really understand why people travel to Samui and eat western-style food all/most of the time. Even though most of the Thai food served to farang is toned down it still usually has more interest and flavours than the euro-american style places. And with a bit of effort and insistence you can find fairly authentic Thai food and usually a lot cheaper then the western style food. Be brave, find the places where the locals eat, Samui food is very safe, we eat the fresh raw vegetables/herbs that accompany many Thai meals now, but you may need to be careful in some places.

We've been seven times now, for a week or two weeks at a time and have just scratched the surface of the food opportunities.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: top three things to do when in koh samui

Thanks all, think it might go like this 1--daily massage or pedicure 2--hire a bike or car and just head off somewhere. 3--just find that bar or restaurant and drink cocktails and until midnight.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: top three things to do when in koh samui

All are great suggestions. Another would be do an elephant trek.

lincolnshire
Level Contributor
62 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: top three things to do when in koh samui

All of those sound fantastic as my husband and I are also going to be virgin visitors to koh samui in 3 weeks time BUT I have done some research on the elephant tracking and the reviews are not good , saying that they are poorly kept , so I won't be doing that one

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
567 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: top three things to do when in koh samui

Have your massage / pedicure at one of the many huts on the beach & take in some lunch from one of the beach vendors ......really tasty & cheap .

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,413 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: top three things to do when in koh samui

One of my best memories of our recent holiday was sitting on a large towel on the beach at Chaweng with Mr Mitch and 2 ladyboy friends (more like daughters) eating very spicy Som Tam we bought for 200thb or 300thb with the raw crab in it and drinking Strawberry Fanta or Singha . . .. happy times.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: top three things to do when in koh samui

My wife and I are traveling this Thursday to koh samui. We are both lovers of traditional Thai food.

Can you please give us information on where exactly you found the best Thai food.

Ie, area, name etc.

Thanks