We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jeep Hire

Which Chaweng hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
liverpool
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Jeep Hire

Is it sensible to drive and what sort of money is it for 10 days or more ?

Please try and reply in the next 12 hrs...thank you

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,969 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jeep Hire

Hi

Yes possible to drive, very easy driving. Keep an eye out of scooters with mad Farangs on!

You will really need a international driving permit - takes 14 days to get! But you can drive without one - but if you do have an accident the police will want your international driving permit. Take your UK Drivers licence (both bits)

Take care with insurance and accidental damage - the farang will always be to blame in an accident.

Expect to pay £20-40 a day for a jeep depending on age of the vehicle.

liverpool
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jeep Hire

Well that's 14 days we dont have hun :O( but I have got both parts of my English one !!! I didnt know international licences still existed thank you for your prompt response....did you see the piece in the Times mag ??

I understand Ferrang means us but its literal inerpretation " forigner" ?

Do you live over in Samui ?

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
691 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jeep Hire

no international license needed just yours from London ok. as you drive on the same side as Thai.

we paid 900Baht a day for Suzuki Jimny with full insurance.

it's the safest way to get around the island. definately no bikes!!

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jeep Hire

OK so this is 5 days too late, but in response to the post by coxie, and for anyone else that reads this thread...

An International PERMIT is the law, but if nothing goes wrong, you won't need it.

A bit like travel insurance really, what level of risk do you put on your freedom in the event of the unforeseen. Rental companies don't enforce the law, so as long as you have cash, chances are good they'll leave your adherence to Thai law "up to you".

At least take 5 minutes to understand what's legally required, even if you plan to ignore the law;

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thail…

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
691 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jeep Hire

well sorry but that's what we where told and that's all we had anyway. been pulled over by police in the past and they where happy with Australian license.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jeep Hire

It wasn't a dig at you as such coxie... you're not the only one that doesn't know... but if you check out that page, you will know now.

Ireland
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Jeep Hire

I am confused - I have read the page on the 'law' and it states that International Driv Licence is required for motorbike - it does not state that it is needed to rent a car - have I missed something?

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,969 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jeep Hire

Yes, legally you do need an international permit to drive (car, jeep or scooter). However, it is unlikely that the hirer will ask for it, only your normal licence. BUT if you are involved in an accident the police will ask for your international premit and you will be penalised if you don't have one!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jeep Hire

Hi Coxie,

My boyfriend and I are visiting Koh Samui next month. We were originally going to hire scooters but I got really turned off after reading on here how dangerous they could be! Hiring a jeep sounds great and not too expensive!!

Could you please tell me where you hired yours from? We are staying at Choeng Mon and this is our first time to Koh Samui so if you could please include the full address that would be great!!

Thank you!

Jade

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jeep Hire

Jade you can always ask at your hotel, that is what we did and they had all the paperwork and the car was delivered to us before we had filled in the forms.

If you haven't gotten your international licence, it is really easy. Just pop into an RACV office with a passport photo and you can get it on the spot.

Even though some people say it isnt required, it is better to be safe than sorry. When I read the fine print on our contract it said that even if your hire fee includes insurance, it will not be paid if the driver does not have an international licence. For $32.50 it is very cheap peace of mind. Our travel insurance also did not cover us if we had an accident without an international licence.