We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Baht

Which Chaweng hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Buying Baht

when is the best time to buy baht in the uk ? Now cos its low or wait until when it goes up again?

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Baht

Ollie it doesn't make much sense to buy Baht in the UK at any time, most especially when it's at the current lows.

This link has a lot of good info on Currency if you care to check it out;

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-s601/Thailand…

BPX
England
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Baht

It is best to hang on for a bit longer as because of the weakness of the Euro the pound will be more attractive to foreign moneymarkets and that should see the Baht rise again. It does require a strong US dollar though to see the Baht strong.

However it all depends on when you are travelling. I always buy my first Baht on arrival at Suvarnabhumi as your UK money traders don't give you as good an exchange rate as you will get in Thailand.

These are my own opinions based on travelling back and foreward to Thailand on a regular basis, I will never refer you to a website as first hand experience is always best in my view. Happy travelling.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Baht

"I will never refer you to a website as first hand experience is always best in my view."

The website I provided is the combination of numerous contributors first hand views and experiences.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Baht

so, its still best to buy when we get there? thats what we've been doing.

BPX
England
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying Baht

Still best to buy when you get there, yes!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,779 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying Baht

Hi

100% Buy when you are there. Normally change up on arrival at BKK. The link provided by fourb2 is a good read of experiances of other travellers like you.

But if the rates are low, that is what you get for your pound. So at the moment you are getting around 49baht to the pound, but in a months time you might get 55 to the pound, so the higher the number the more you get to your pound and the further your pound goes. A low rate is bad for us!!

Edited: 2:47 pm, May 01, 2010
7. Re: Buying Baht

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 pm, May 18, 2010
8. Re: Buying Baht

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 15, 2010