We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food and drink prices

Houghton-le-Spring...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
Food and drink prices

Hi,

We are thinking of booking to go to chaweng beach and was just wondering approx how much food and drinks are? I was there over 10 years ago and remember being quite cheap to eat and want to gauge approx how much we would look to spend for 10 days. Thanks

6 replies to this topic
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
38,273 posts
386 reviews
448 helpful votes
1. Re: Food and drink prices

Hi

Things have changed, especially with the terribly weak UK pound and the very strong Thai Baht. What was 60=£1 10 years ago you are now lucky to get 40=£1!

Prices have also increased. An average massage 10 years ago was 200-250thb is now nearer 400. You can still find 200-250thb massages but you will only get 30mins and not an hour. Similar food prices, an average main was 50-100thb now its more like 150-250tbh. Of course, move away from the tourist places and eat where the thais eat and you will be paying 50thb still! There are several markets around the popular tourist areas and they always have cheap food and drink.

Alchol is still pretty much the same, cocktails from 99thb, and beer around 100thb. Wines and spirits are more expensive, 200-250thb in a bar.

Of course there will always be more expensive and cheaper on anything if you look. I did see a bottle of AUS wine in Tesco Lotus the other day for 300thb! Don't ask me if it was any good, as I am not a wine drinker!

On average, if you like to eat out, have snacks, enjoy a couple of drinks, a massage / pedicure etc, a bit of shopping, getting out and about budget for around 5000thb for one day per couple. Some days it will be a lot less and others a lot more. Personally I like to enjoy my holiday, not worry about money or keeping to a tight budget, I know some do their holiday for less then 2500thb a day per couple. Guess it depends on what you like from your holiday and trip!

Edited: 10:31 pm, March 06, 2019
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Food and drink prices

Currently on the island now and it's around 160-200thb per meal in mid range places, even on the beach restaurants it's similar prices.

Many places do happy hours so finding cheaper drinks isn't too difficult or you could go the cheapest route and stock up your fridge with the beers from the 7eleven. Not had the street food yet but a family member has and said it's great value had a meal for around 70bht.

Mansfield
Level Contributor
700 posts
34 reviews
16 helpful votes
3. Re: Food and drink prices

We budget £100 per day, that excludes any trips (been there and bought the t shirt already!), and usually bring some baht home with us...not as much as earlier years.

We don't eat out in expensive hotels nor too much 'on the street' but still enjoy decent food, enough beers and cocktails plus regular massages without feeling the need to watch the cash in our pocket.

Our credit card is only used for that final, expected large hotels 'extras' bill!

Houghton-le-Spring...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Food and drink prices

Thank you for all your advice and comments. Just have to pick a hotel!😀😀

Bonny Hills...
Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
18 helpful votes
5. Re: Food and drink prices

Depending on your budget, but we have booked Chaba Samui on the beach at Chaweng on a 55% off special. Have a look

Manchester
Level Contributor
777 posts
10 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Food and drink prices

We’ve just come back from spending a week in Samui (plus 2 nights Bangkok, 3 nights Phangan and 2 nights Kanchanaburi) we ate out every night, had street food snacks during the day (chicken skewers/bags of pineapple - yummmm!) a few Chang’s in the evening, did a couple of trips, paid for transfers on ferry etc and hired a scooter for a day, and spent 1250 euro between 2 of us!! Chaweng was without doubt more expensive than the other places but not excessive. We are not huge drinkers though, maybe 4-5 Chang’s at most a day - just to give you an idea!!

Reply to: Food and drink prices
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted