We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uda Walawe - morning or afternoon?

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Uda Walawe - morning or afternoon?

Has anyone done both morning and afternoon safaris and can advise me on which one was best for elephant spotting, or anyone done the afternoon safari and can recommend it?

Thank you.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uda Walawe - morning or afternoon?

Morning or afternoon in Udawalawe doesn't really matter.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,336 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Uda Walawe - morning or afternoon?

You will see plenty of elephants either way. Pick the time that suits your itinerary the most. i.e If you intend to be somewhere far away by the next day, then do the morning safari.

Sometimes the afternoon can be better for landscape photography, subjected to weather.

Aalst, Belgium
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uda Walawe - morning or afternoon?

We did a safari in the morning and saw 23 elephants together at the lake.

4. Re: Uda Walawe - morning or afternoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 am, February 24, 2014
Colombo
Level Contributor
26 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uda Walawe - morning or afternoon?

I have done both. In mornings I have seen more birds - and if you go at 6AM you can stay for as long as you want to go. If you go afternoons (after 2pm) you have to push your guide to the limit, some of them like to go home as soon as possible - understandably but still. In late afternoon I have seen fox and wild cats and other small stuff in this park. Tip: don't "go" for the elephants but try to look for the other wildlife as you will bump into elephants anyways.

London, United...
Level Contributor
576 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uda Walawe - morning or afternoon?

You will see elephants, not herds of 5o or more, but small groups of females with babies under the trees to get shade, sole males roaming. The jeeps can get quite close, too close at times. Lots of birds, hawks, hornbills if lucky. We saw 1 crocodile way out in the lake by an island, couldn't pick it up with eye, but zoom in on digital camera later & we could make it out. Binoculars essential !!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
44 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Uda Walawe - morning or afternoon?

what I've head is that afternoon is better as you could see a variety of animals including elephants.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,336 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Uda Walawe - morning or afternoon?

Well, you've heard wrong. If anything, I've had better luck with smaller bird species in the early mornings.

As post #6 says, Elephants are given, and one should try enjoy the safari for the experience and not be too focused on an "animal list".

With the correct weather, the lighting can be ideal for photography in the late afternoon. The sun and the hills and potential herds of elephants etc

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
44 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Uda Walawe - morning or afternoon?

disagree with Seeking Places! I have taken both morning and afternoon safari and saw more animals in the afternoon. I also know many who had better luck with the afternoon safari.

P.S. no one has specifically asked for bird watching or photography but elephants and the best time of the day.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,336 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Uda Walawe - morning or afternoon?

Oh well, I assumed that you were relating to hearsay and reports and not personal experience.

Either way, the "morning or afternoon" question has been discussed quite a lot (more so concerning leopard spotting in Yala) and the general understanding is that for Elephants, at Uda Walawe, it doesn't matter. As far as itineraries go, I'd decide the session so that it helps the rest of the trip. Since, usually, Uda Walwave tends to be at least a couple hours away from the "next hop".

If there is any distinction between "morning and afternoon", I'd put it down to other birds, lighting and other factors. i.e not elephants. My experience of course is only limited to dozen or so visits out of which one was for a scientific species count and a couple for all day photography expeditions. Still an amateur!

Edited: 12:36 am, February 27, 2014