We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Nevis & things to do on the island

New York, NY
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry to Nevis & things to do on the island

I would like to visit the island of Nevis and go to The Bath Hot Springs in June.

Does anyone know the distance from the marriott to the ferry to go to Nevis, the cost, and does the hotel provide a schedule?

Does anyone have information on things to do on the island of Nevis, about The Bath Hot Springs, and local resturants to go to on Nevis?

Mad Max Dune Buggy Beach Tours St. Kitts
Cultural Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Beach Addiction St. Kitts Nevis
Parasailing & Paragliding, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
st. kitts
Level Contributor
288 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to Nevis & things to do on the island

It is a fifteen minute drive from the Marriott to the ferry terminal in Basseterre.

The hotel should have a ferry schedule or visit Leyton's website.

For info on Nevis visit www.nevisisland.com

Edited: 4:57 pm, June 15, 2011
New York, NY
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to Nevis & things to do on the island

Thank you skbfan!

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,407 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to Nevis & things to do on the island

The "hot springs baths" on Nevis are not a major attraction. They are three pools of warm waters fed by a thermal spring. They are located in an area known as Bath Village at the southern edge of Charlestown at the bottom of a hill below the rear of the "old" Bath Hotel (one of the earliest "hotels" in the Caribbean - now a government office building).

The pools are used mostly by locals - some less affluent locals use them regularly for personal their hygiene. There are no "facilities" at the site except for a small run-down pump house. Most tourists stop for a few minutes and some will dip their hands or feet in the water to feel the temperature, occasionally you'll see a tourist actually bathe but it's a rare event.

There are lots of restaurants on Nevis. Use the search feature above (type in "Nevis restaurants") and you'll find scores of recent posts. Where to dine is on of the most discussed topics on this forum.

FYI - the cost for the ferry is about $9US (including the Port Tax) per person, each way. It's about a 45 minute trip n the ferry. Also, the Marriott does not have a shuttle between the hotel and the ferry dock. Your only viable means of getting there is by taxi (about $12US each way) or by rental car.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
861 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to Nevis & things to do on the island

Ferry schedule:

http://boatschedule.leytonms.com/index.php

New York, NY
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry to Nevis & things to do on the island

Thanks! I checked out the website provided for both Nevis and Leyton will make note of the information.

Can any of you tell me which would be the best beach to go to on Nevis that would provide snorkling equipment, has a resturant /bar and good swimming?

I noted Herbert's Beach, Cades Bay, Gallow's Bay, and Nisbet Beach on the Nevis website.

Tallahassee, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry to Nevis & things to do on the island

I would recommend Pinney's Beach near the Four Seasons.Its probably the nicest beach on the island, and has some great lunch places / beach bars.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,777 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry to Nevis & things to do on the island

I "think" the only beach where you could rent snorkeling equipment would be Oualie Beach. Dive Nevis is located there and could probably rent to you. Also it is the location of the Oualie Beach Hotel, a small casual place, and they have a bar and restaurant.

Snorkeling from the beach isn't great in Nevis so if you forgo doing that, have the taxi driver take you to Pinney's Beach as mentioned above. You have the choice of Chevy's, Line, and Sunshine's beach bars.

Nisbet Plantation has a nice beach bar/restaurant as well but check the weather. On windy days the beach there is less pleasant. Pinney's Beach is on the calm side of the island.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry to Nevis & things to do on the island

Thank you Ryan and ting for your advice! I have seen Sunshine Beach Bar on FB and can't wait to drink the killer bee drink!

Edited: 1:27 pm, June 20, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry to Nevis & things to do on the island

Just to second ting's above post, the hot baths are really not much of an attraction at all. The baths really consist of an open gazebo with a jacuzzi size pool of water underneath. The baths are pretty grimy and not something I would take a dip in. Plan on stopping by for maybe 15 minutes if you happen to be on Nevis, but don't make a special trip.

That being said, Nevis is a great island and I would defintnely encourage you to visit. We stayed at Nisbet. It's very easy to get around the island and the people are very friendly and go out of their way to make you feel welcome.

I would recommend checking to see if there are horse races going on while you will be on the island. Trust me, you have never seen anything like Nevis horse racing!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry to Nevis & things to do on the island

Ok, thanks for the advice Ryan!

Interesting horse racing! I will be sure to inquire once I get to Nevis.

Thanks!

Get answers to your questions about Frigate Bay