We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

?Butcher/buying fresh fish @ los gigantes/santiago del teide

england
Level Contributor
146 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
?Butcher/buying fresh fish @ los gigantes/santiago del teide

Hi

We are going back to Tenerife and are going self catering. Can anyone advise me if there is a butchers (for our meat), and where we can buy fresh fish (we have been able to purchase, in other countries, the fish direct off the fisherman in the harbour)? I know that the supermarket in Playa la Areana sells meat and fish, but wondered if there was anywhere else.

Thanks for any help

West Tenerife
Boat Tours, Waterskiing & Jetskiing, Scuba & Snorkeling
Flipper Uno
Dolphin & Whale Watching
Portugal
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ?Butcher/buying fresh fish @ los gigantes/santiago del teide

There are plenty of places on Tenerife where you can buy fish direct from fisherman at the harbour but these tend to be in the traditional fishing communities rather than in purpose built resorts like Los Gigantes and Playa de la Arena.

In some places on the islands the way to get fresh fish is from a local van that drives around anouncing their arrival by loudspeaker. But I've never heard that in that area. Again that's more in traditional communities.

Puerto Santiago does have a small fishing community, so I think that would be your best bet. You could always ask at a local fish restaurant there if there was anywhere to buy fish apart from at the supermarket. However, the good supermarkets tend to have a very good fish selection anyway.

Edited: 4:43 am, October 02, 2012
Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,544 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ?Butcher/buying fresh fish @ los gigantes/santiago del teide

Had a word with my friend who lives in the area and they say

>>You might be lucky if you get down to San Juan harbour at about 0800. There is a small fresh fish shop in Alcala also another in San Juan. Both shops have limited choice but the fish is fresh.<<

And again as Gusto says places like Mercadona tend to sell a good selection.

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

england
Level Contributor
146 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ?Butcher/buying fresh fish @ los gigantes/santiago del teide

Hi

Thnx 4 your reply, Where is the fish shop in Alcala, we have walked from Los Gigantes down to Alcala, and perhaps may have missed the shop when we had a wander around. Also what street is there one in San Juan?

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,544 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ?Butcher/buying fresh fish @ los gigantes/santiago del teide

I'm told the fresh fish shop in Alcala is first turning right, past Toni's restaurant, half way down the street on the left. Its a new shop and they have their own small trawler so most of the fish is local.

http://redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

5. Re: ?Butcher/buying fresh fish @ los gigantes/santiago del teide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 15, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Los Gigantes
Recent Conversations