We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

medical services

birmingham
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
medical services

Thinking of returning to Los Gigantes this spring, could someone please advise what the local medical facilities are, as one of our children now has diabetes and I would like to be re-assured that facilities are quickly available in case of emergency. Many thanks

Flipper Uno
Dolphin & Whale Watching
West Tenerife
Scuba & Snorkeling, Waterskiing & Jetskiing, Boat Tours, Boat Rentals, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Ireland
Level Contributor
571 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: medical services

not sure about the facilities but do have good insurance for a pre exisitng medical condition.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,475 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: medical services

As the above post says if a condition is already in existence then you should inform your insurance company otherwise you could find you have to pay hefty bills. You could also carry the EHIC card which will cover you for emergencies.

I don´t think there are any hospitals in the area the closest being in Las Americas but there is a clinic so if it is a case of medication or perhaps injections you should be OK here. It is in Playa Arena, which is a short distance from Los Gigantes.

http://redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: medical services

We stayed in Los Gigantes (Luabay) in November and had occasion to call for medical assistance late one night.

Basically my 7 year old son became unwell while we were watching the entertainment on our second night. I ran to reception requesting a doctor as he was complaining of being unable to breath very scary).

Have to say the reception were excellent, I carried the boy back to the room and reception assured me the doc would be there in 15 minutes.

He arrived as promised and was excellent. Immediately put the boy at ease (and his parents) and within minutes diagnosed tonsilitis and a panic attack. Immediatelu gave a steroid and then a prescription which i picked up from the 24 hr pharmacy.

Have to say I found the doc very efficient and professional. Very child friendly as well. Call out charge was 90 euro.

Reception staff asked for the child every day after that and were very caring.

Good service I must say

Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: medical services

Do you have the number of the call out doctor?

London, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: medical services

When we needed to call out the doctor from the Los Gigantes Hotel in January 2012 - we had to pay, on the spot, 70 Euros for the doctors report, 70 Euros, on the spot, for the ambulance to take us to the Green Hospital in Playa de las Americas and just under 20 Euros payable to the hospital there and then for a fit to fly certificate. Also when you take your medical insurance documents to the hospital the first thing they check is that they (the hospital) recognise your medical insurance provider. Make sure you take all your documents, passports, cash and keep all the receipts to claim it all back when you get back to the UK. I hope you don't need to do all this when you are away but having a free health service in the UK made us totally unaware of what and how much had to be paid out at the time. Take care and I hope you all have a nice time when you go.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,447 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: medical services

MrsTenerife

Sorry to hear you had to call a doctor whilst on holiday, but just to put the record straight there is also free health care in Spain which would have been covered by your EHIC card. However, the doctor you called was private and obviously sent you to a private clininc. Your experience highlights how important it is to have adequate travel insurance.

London, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: medical services

We were told the only people entitled to use the Spanish Health Service for free were UK OAPs (which we're not) and secondly we were told the EHIC card is only useful if your ailments are for a sprained ankle, rashes or that type of thing. My husband became ill at about 3am so the hotel called the doctor who came from Puerto de Santiago. One thing is for sure nobody should ever ever go away without adequate medical insurance and a bit of spare 'emergency' money. Once as the hospital got clearance from our medical insurer's provider then it was 5 star treatment all the way. A fantastic, clean, fully staffed hospital with great doctors, medical staff and always an interpreter to hand. If we hadn't have had the medical insurance or the EHIC card do you, or anyone else, know what the procedure would have been? This is only medical experience we've ever had on holiday and any information would be greatly appreciated. You always think you are ok with having travel insurance but I must admit I just took the advice from the hotel staff at 3am and went along with what was happening and said to me at the time. Thanks for any advice you can give.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,447 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: medical services

Glad to hear that your husband received the attention hr needed efficiently and quickly. Theoretically, the EHIC card is for all EU citizens ( each EU country having their equivalent) requiring emergency treatment whilst outside their resident country

It is valid for all emergency treatment for people of all ages providing you attend a state hospital or medical centre, similiar to our NHS, not a private clinic. I know that due to the economic problems in Spain that some Social Security hospitals have declined to treat foreigners as they(foolishly) think all holiday makers have private insurance to cover the costs. I don't know if this is the case in Tenerife..

Additionally, many hotels, apartment complexes, tour operator reps wtc will call a particular doctor or clinic as they receive a commission from them.

If you hadn't been insured and/or not used your EHIC card you would have been liable for all costs involved. If somebody is involved in a serious accident or has very high medical bills and do not have the means to pay, as a last resort the British Consul will sometimes intervene. They will pay the bill and the person will have to pay back the money in the UK, but that is only in extreme circumstances.

London, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: medical services

PHEW!! Thanks for all that information. Glad we had the travel insurance and extra Euros with us.

Happy New Year to everyone and thanks again.

xxx

10. Re: medical services

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, January 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Los Gigantes
Recent Conversations