We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter vomiting bug - Barcelo Santiago Hotel

Newark-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
64 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Winter vomiting bug - Barcelo Santiago Hotel

I have been reading reviews on the Barcelo Santiago Hotel and many members talk of the winter vomiting bug. It seems very prevalent in this area. Does anyone know if it is worse than in the UK or have any information about it? Some people seem to blame the hotel, but it is more likely the proximity of so many tourists and hygiene problems. I am rather worried about going for Christmas and New Year, but hope it's not going to be too bad! Perhaps someone living out there can give us some more information please.

basildon
1 post
Save Reply
21. Re: Winter vomiting bug - Barcelo Santiago Hotel

i contrated this bug staying at the hotel los gigantes.I was ill for five days and lost a stone in weight. The local doctor who attended me said it was rife in this area and i am reliably informed that raw sewage is pumped into the sea just off the coast, which would explain the problem.

eastbourne
Level Contributor
8 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Winter vomiting bug - Barcelo Santiago Hotel

My partner and I have just returned from a two week stay at Barcello, on the 3rd day we came down with the bug it was pretty awful to say the least, we have never experienced anything like it. It went as quickly as it came but we did not feel like eating for about a week but were able to enjoy our holiday. I read on here that it was only the British that had it but that is definitely not the case now, a Norwegian mother and daughter that we met also came down with it and also a local restaurant was closed at lunch time due to all the staff going down with it (the owner came out and informed us of this). Also the British bar staff told us they knew about it too. The Management played it down and said only a few people had it but this was not the case. Obviously it is not the Hotels fault but I think we should have been more informed and also the hand washes should be mandatory when entering the restaurant. On the positive side we didn't spend as much money and lost weight!!! We will def go back to the Barcello because my partner has been going there for many years and he has never experienced anything like this there before. It does concern me about the comment re sewage being pumped straight into the sea and all through the holiday we could smell sewage. Maybe sprays before we get on the plane and masks, or maybe a vaccination of some kind would be the way to go!!!!

eastbourne
Level Contributor
8 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Winter vomiting bug - Barcelo Santiago Hotel

I have just been reading about the Sewage issues in Los Gigantes on Holiday Travel Watch. It is very concerning as nothing seems to have been done about this situation. As I previously stated you can actually smell the sewage but we just put it down to the drains in the hotel. Surely trip advisor could put a warning out on the site about the Vomiting bug. People are just sweeping it under the carpet and hoping that it will go away.

Horncastle, United...
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Winter vomiting bug - Barcelo Santiago Hotel

My wife and I, both in our late 60s, have stayed at Barcelo Santiago four times and avoided any illness. We always use the hand wash provided before and after every meal.

If the problem stems from sewage pumped into the sea, during our last visit to Barcelo at the beginning of March this year, the weather was so rough the wind blew sea spray onto our balcony on the top ninth floor!

It's the luck of the draw. Norovirus, or whatever you want to call it, will be everywhere people congregate in close confinement. Look at all the cruise ships that suffer

eastbourne
Level Contributor
8 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Winter vomiting bug - Barcelo Santiago Hotel

Yes I tend to agree with you my partner has been there many times with nothing. But it does ruin part of your holiday when you do get it. We have a friend who was on a cruise ship and got it, but my main problem is that everyone just sweeps it under the carpet when this is quite a serious bug especially if you are elderly and it only takes one person to die! I def would go back to Barcello, and really loved it there. Lucky you that you have managed to avoid it. Yes we did also use the hand washes that were available and we consider ourselves fit healthy and clean. I have not put my review of the hotel on yet but it will def be positive. We have stayed all over the world and are both well traveled but have never experienced anything quite like this.

west midlands
Level Contributor
227 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Winter vomiting bug - Barcelo Santiago Hotel

As someone who is still suffering from the tummy bug after a stay in Los Gigantes last week I read with alarm the article Suzy referred to in Holiday Travel Watch. Undoubtedly many people in different hotels and apartments in the area of Los Gigantes/Puerto Santiago are suffering with this and seem to have done so for a few years and it appears no one is trying to resolve these problems.

holidaytravelwatch.com/press/holidaytravelwa…

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,353 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Winter vomiting bug - Barcelo Santiago Hotel

I would point anyone concerned to look at this thread tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187479-i153-k58… which I put on last December. If you click on the relevant link you can see that in the UK this is still 8% higher than the same period last year. Personally I am still of the opinion that a lot of people who have had the bug that can still be passed to other for up to 2 weeks after the last symptoms show, continue with their holidays rather than cancel. If this is the case the hotel can only provide hand washes but have little chance to eradicate the bug. It is also dependent on everyone using the facilities provided and not think they are clean so it doesn´t apply to them.

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Horncastle, United...
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Winter vomiting bug - Barcelo Santiago Hotel

@ Suzy1eastbourne: quote "if you are elderly"

Are you suggesting that late 60s is elderly???? :-))))))

We too would certainly go back. I suspect that that the local brandy protected us from all ills!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,693 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Winter vomiting bug - Barcelo Santiago Hotel

restaurant workers the world over tend to have poor hygiene -- it is why everyone should be vaccinated for Hep A and this is even more important if one travels. so one can pick up the norovirus from restaurant food handled by unsanitary workers but buffets are a disaster. I don't go to restaurants with buffet service after watching a man in Singapore literally handle very single roll in a large basket of rolls -- at least 50 of them -- searching for 'the right roll' -- he touched and pawed all the bread in the basket.

I don't know about Spain but in Italy bread baskets are routinely recycled and I observed in one popular central italian restaurant, the platers recycling food off plates coming back to the kitchen i.e. stripping uneaten prosciuto and putting it on new plates, removing the chewed pitts from the olive bowl and pouring the uneaten olives back into the communal bowl. so even practicing good hygiene and only ordering from restaurants with table service isn't a guarantee -- but buffets are always dirty.

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,577 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Winter vomiting bug - Barcelo Santiago Hotel

Oh Janet I'll never eat off a bread basket again ! And as for recycling ...yuk.

I'm surprised about Singapore though it was by far the cleanest place I have been.

I had food poisoning from a burger years ago and was in hospital for 2 months and have been left with related problems. Food poisoning should be taken seriously and I would avoid a hotel that has a problem with a bug.

Where it originated from Is irrelevant if there's a chance of catching it.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto de Santiago
Recent Conversations