We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island

Anyone have any information on the number of cruise ships that are scheduled to go ashore on Pitcairn Island that are actually successful at getting ashore? I've booked a very expensive cruise and would cancel if the chances are actually slim to nil. Thanks for any info.

38 replies to this topic
Sydney
Level Contributor
33 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island

Try this website: http://www.visitpitcairn.pn/cruise_ships/

Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island

I have been on a cruise which visited Pitcairn. The small ship, Pacific Princess, anchored off the island, and most of the 48 islanders came to the ship on their Longboat, complete with their wares to sell. Their Chief also gave a talk in the theatre, followed by an excellent Question & Answer session. They don't have facilities to welcome passengers on cruise ships.

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island

Hi Mel,

I have also visited off Pitcairn Island on the Pacific Princess. However, there are some cruise ships who actually tender their passengers on to the island.

Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island

I wonder which ones they are? Got to be very small. Probably less than 200 passengers!

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island

Check out the link in post #1. I know the Oceania Marina is scheduled to go. I had booked with them for this reason, but due to the exorbitant cost and high probability that they would not make it ashore I cancelled.

Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island

I think you were very wise to cancel. I would imagine that landing passengers on Pitcairn are few and far between. I was once given advice "never book a cruise for one port" - This is true. I was once on a South American cruise that stopped off at the Falkland Islands and the locals told us that it was not very often that tender went ashore because of the weather. In Feb/Mar 2014 I am on the Crown Princess from F/L to LA and due to visit Falklands again, so let's hope the journey from UK is worth it. However, I wont be disappointed if we miss, as I have visited previously. Happy alternative cruising.

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island

Thanks, Mel - I'm on my way to the Seychelles Islands and Senegal instead, so no regrets. I also missed the Falklands many years ago, but did get to see Antarctica, so it was, overall, a successful trip!

Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island

Thanks for response. Surprised you are doing Seychelles AND Senegal. They are on opposite sides of Africa. Seychelles are fantastic. Have a good one.

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island

Back to back cruises on Variety Cruises - and Senegal is on the way back home (more or less!). Good luck with the Falklands!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
161 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island

If you really want to land on Pitcairn you simply have to go on an expedition cruise ship which means about 100 passengers and zodiac landing craft. The pier/jetty cannot take even the smallest ship and just forget about tendering . . . it's well nigh impossible. Believe me, I've been there.

Currently there are four operators which visit Pitcairn and will get you ashore unless the weather is seriously poor. These are:

Caledonian Sky (Noble-Caledonia UK and Zegrahm Expeditions USA)

National Geographic Orion (Lindblad Expeditions)

Silversea Discoverer (Silversea Expeditions)

These cruises are expensive. They also make landings on 2 other Pitcairn Islands - the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Henderson Island as well as Ducie Island. The cruises usually follow a route from Tahiti to Easter Island and some also visit the Marquesas.

Reply to: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pitcairn Islands