We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ostia Beaches

Which Ostia Antica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ostia Beaches

I'm visiting Ostia Antica and thought we'd spend the afternoon at the beach. So far I have figured out how to get there, but my next question is - how do we get to the free beach?

From the centro train station, I think we can walk (is this realistic?) to the beach. In a straight line it looks to be about 10 minutes...but then, how do we find our way to the free beach?

How much do the private beaches cost anyway? And is it worth it?

Europe
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ostia Beaches

@CHM1985

The most popular free beaches in Ostia are "The Gates" or as we call them "I cancelli". You can reach them taking the 07 bus from the last stop of RomaLido train, Colombo, it is about 15 minutes trip. There are public cabin/changing rooms and also free shower stalls. Additionally, you can find there some kiosks, selling snacks and drinks, and other letting beach umbrella, beach chairs etc...

Given that they are popular they're are also overcrowded, especially during week-ends and during July/August

Private are much expensive, and though italian laws states that everyone is free to reach the shore, it is likely that they would stop you, asking for a fee.

Greetings

CDB

Edited: 1:38 pm, May 24, 2014
2. Re: Ostia Beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 26, 2015