We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Vilanova Campsite

Dublin
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get to Vilanova Campsite

Hello,

We are going to Vilanova campsite beginning of July. What is the best way to get to it from Barcelona airport? We are flying from Dublin. There are 2 adults and 2 children in our party.

Also is it possible to get a taxi or bus in the evening times into Vilanova i al Geltru as from what I read its a lovely town. With only 1 restaurant on the campsite, I think it will get very busy at night and we would like to explore more of the area.

Many thanks in advance.

cork
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to Vilanova Campsite

The easy way is to get a taxi from the airport, but if you dont have much luggage and on a budget you can get a train from the airport, check that it is stopping at vilanova, and then you can get a bus from train station to the gates of the campsite. There are frequent buses from the campsite to the town and to a great beach in town. You can download the bus timetable from Camping Vilanova website. I am from Cork and have been going to this campsite most years for 15 years it is brilliant and we still are discovering new things to do. Portaventura themepark is a great day out Have a grea holiday

Dublin
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to Vilanova Campsite

Thank you for your reply. Would taxi be expensive? I know it would make life a lot easier with 2 kids! This is only our second time doing a camping holiday but kids loved it. We are staying in a mobile home with Lifestyle holidays. Hope mobiles are ok! If you can give me any other tips I would be so grateful. I heard town close by is very nice. Thanks again!

cork
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to Vilanova Campsite

One of my daughters stayed with lifestyle last year and was very happy, they are a bit smaller than some of the other companies but still very good, they are in a very good position, near the upper pool and sport pitches, they are a bit away from the main bar where the entertainment is so isnt too noisy at night but there is always kids playing round the wee avenues in the evening. A family across from us got a taxi last year and it cost them 80euro each way. We usually hire a car online before we go, works out nearly as cheap,there is some good deals out there, but if you need child seats they can be another 60euro each on top. There is a very good supermarket ,Hypersimply in vilanova. Trains are very cheap and good, about every 20 minutes to barcelona. Sitge is a beatiful town well worth a visit, about 5mins away by car or train, large gay community but only gets loud late at night has really good restaurants, so has vilanova along the waterfront. you could spend the whole time on the campsite and have a great time but there is loads to see in the area. If you want tell me what you like doing, age of kids etc and ill pass on any info

Dublin
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to Vilanova Campsite

Hello again! Thanks a million for all the info. It's great! I have two boys age 8 & 11. Oldest boy loves the archery so hopefully classes there. They enjoy football but not mad football kids! Prefer to play football with their dad instead!

We enjoy heading out some nights away from the camp and eating in other places. Heard only 1 restaurant on site. What's it like? Can imagine in July would be very busy?

We do drive but thought would be nice not to have a car this year and use public transport? What do you think? Would we be very restricted? We were hoping to hire bikes if area safe to cycle around.

Definitely want to go to Barcelona for the day & that theme park sounds great too. I know will be awkward getting to all these places without a car.

Delighted to hear lifestyle mobiles good and in good area. Was hoping would be in a quiet place. It's also first time with the kids staying in a mobile so that should be fun!!

Thanks so much for all the information. Great to find someone who knows so much about the place!

cork
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get to Vilanova Campsite

The road outside the campsite would be dangerous to walk never mind cycle. I think it would add a lot to your holiday to hire a car, you can save a lot by shopping in the large supermarket in vilanova, and the trains can be busy in July. The campsite restaurant is just ok but their carryout is good if your bbq as you can get chips, they also do roast chicken. The beach in vilanova is really nice, and you do pay a small charge for parking at the beach. Portaventura theme park is brill, we usually get a deal from the theme parks website and stay one night at their hotel and you get 2 days entrance into the park incl, we always go in June but I would say it is more expensive in July. It is just after Tarragonna which is a lovely small city with lots of roman ruins and a very good flea market on a sunday morning. If you want to get away and into nature there is a natural park above the campsite www.diba.cat/parcsn/parcs/plana.asp… ,parc foix. It can be quite hard to get info about this park the website is the best way,it took us 10 years to get info. You can drive inland fromthe campsite to castlelet, a tiny village beside a reservoir to access it but if you go to the entrance of the campsite there is a small road on your right marked for golf,you walk up pass some houses and the golf club, a nice walk and you will come to some gr routes, great walks and nice to get away from the crowds There was major forest fire there last year wen we were there, lots of excitement, they nearly had to evacuate the campsite so it should be fine for a couple of years!.If you want anymore info let me know

Dublin
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get to Vilanova Campsite

I think I will take your advice re hiring a car. Will have a chat with my husband and have a look for good deals. I'm sure it would be much easier to get around. Is there parking beside your mobile homes do you know?

I heard restaurant was just ok myself. Might give it a try one of the nights! Would be nice to eat along the beach some evening or in Vilanova town.

Thank you so much for all your advice. If you are going back this year, I hope you have a great time. Really looking forward to it now. Lets hope no fires!

Thanks again

cork
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get to Vilanova Campsite

We are going back in June this year, counting the days. You can park right beside your decking of your mobile home. Last year we went with my 4 daughters, 3 son in laws and 2 grandchildren. You will have a great holiday and your boys will love it!!!

Dublin
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get to Vilanova Campsite

That's a big crowd on holidays with you! Hope you have a great time and if you find anything new again this year, you can let me know :-)

Thanks again

9. Re: Best way to get to Vilanova Campsite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 12, 2014