We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with Teenagers - Do I need to worry about safety?

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
89 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling with Teenagers - Do I need to worry about safety?

Let anyone think that I am paranoid, please know that we are seasoned travelers and I generally do not worry much about safety beyond the usual common sense measures. However, I just saw some posts on another board cautioning that women are routinely harrassed on St. Lucia. Do I really need to worry about this?? I will be there with 2 teenaged girls and this has me a little freaked out. We'll be at Oasis on Marigot. I would very much appreciate your feedback.

TIA!

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Traveling with Teenagers - Do I need to worry about safety?

It will be 1 blonde and she arrives friday, unfortunately we will be in another villa when she arrives. Sorry guys haha. We are facing west. We have the property manager here now and she is great, lots of information. Her name is Ruth, I am not sure if she manages other villas but I would think she does.

Edited: 9:01 am, January 18, 2011
Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Traveling with Teenagers - Do I need to worry about safety?

CLARIFICATION

A cruisecritic forum post entitled "Caution - extreme danger in st. Lucia".was written by the parents of two teenage children who, while walking unaccompanied in Castries, were told by the police to return to their cruise ship & family.

I think the police over-reacted to these two teenage children because of an unrelated incident several months ago involving a young Canadian couple walking and taking photos in the same area.

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Traveling with Teenagers - Do I need to worry about safety?

have you guys arrived at oasis yet?

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
37 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Traveling with Teenagers - Do I need to worry about safety?

I wonder if you have stayed in Marigot Bay before. I can't imagine that teenagers will have anything to do (it is not a town) unless you are planning to go other places for all the activites. It is a long way from everything & getting around costs alot. If I had known what I do now, I would not stay there again. Just my opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Marigot Bay
Marigot Bay
506 Reviews
St. Lucia
Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
89 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Traveling with Teenagers - Do I need to worry about safety?

We just got back and our teenagers had a great time. We did a day sail, 2 snorkeling trips, and a trip to Castries. We also spent lots of time just lounging around on the beach and at the pool at Oasis reading and talking. It was wonderful. I am not sure what your teenagers are into, but mine thought we'd taken them to paradise. We also did not find that getting around was all that costly. Our water taxi to Castries was $15 pp and the snorkeling trips were $20 - I would have spent at least that on a rental car and gas anywhere.

On the other hand, I would not go there with younger kids. I think they would be bored.

Mentioned in this post
Castries
Castries
St. Lucia
England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,627 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Traveling with Teenagers - Do I need to worry about safety?

Thanks so much for posting this and great that your teenagers had such a good time. Would you go back to St lucia based on your experience ?

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
89 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Traveling with Teenagers - Do I need to worry about safety?

We would definitely go back but we would do two things differently: 1) We would likely rent a different accomodation. While we really liked Oasis, with 4 people, the unit was a bit too tight. We knew the kids would be in the main room on the sleep sofa, but they were not very comfortable. 2) We would hire a tour guids/driver for a day so that we could see more of the island.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Traveling with Teenagers - Do I need to worry about safety?

Good advice to move about the island with a local land or water taxi operator/guide... for true!

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,539 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Traveling with Teenagers - Do I need to worry about safety?

" It was wonderful. I am not sure what your teenagers are into, but mine thought we'd taken them to paradise."

Allison,

Thanks for reporting back...this is refreshing to hear!

It seems more and more these days... parents are losing sight of what their own children and teens might really enjoy or more profoundly need, on a "vacation".

20. Re: Traveling with Teenagers - Do I need to worry about safety?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 02, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Marigot Bay