We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

authentic food from anguilla ?

Which West End Village hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sfakia, Greece
Level Contributor
117 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
authentic food from anguilla ?

Can anyone recommend authentic Anguilla cuisine or other great local places ? I'm going to be staying at CJ and the Viceroy for 10 nights in May 2014.

39 replies to this topic
new jersey
Level Contributor
411 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: authentic food from anguilla ?

I had dinner tonight at E's Oven. Great food and I think most would agree that Tasty's and E's should be on your list. Mary's and the wonderful food vans in the Valley have lots if local offerings.

Sfakia, Greece
Level Contributor
117 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: authentic food from anguilla ?

Thank you! i like to hear more about where locals eat. Thanks again Indac

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,687 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: authentic food from anguilla ?

In addition to Tasty's and E's Oven and the BBQ stands and food trucks in the Valley:

Big Jim's BBQ, Coconose, English Rose, Elsa's - directions and phone numbers to some are here:

http://restaurants.ai/

Port St. Mary...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: authentic food from anguilla ?

Nico' restaurant in the Valley has a Saltfish special for Saturday breakfast.

Lucy's is not far from Viceroy, and serves local dishes.

Roti's from Roti Hut and also at Smokey's on the Cove.

Curried Goat, our favourite is Straw Hat.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: authentic food from anguilla ?

I agree with OT on all.

Lucy's is one of our favorites. Lucy is the host, chef, cook.

Sfakia, Greece
Level Contributor
117 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: authentic food from anguilla ?

thank you so much everyone!!! you all been very helpful with much info!! I heard so much about the roadside BBQ and a big fan of ribs! we can't get real Southern style BBQ in Greece!!!

Leesburg, Florida
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: authentic food from anguilla ?

Interesting question--Not sure how I would define authentic Anguillan food. Remember Anguilla was a British Territory so you don't have the Hispanic influence you have on other Caribbean islands like Cuba and Puerto Rice. Most of the locals eat fish, goat, chicken, ribs, conch, peas and rice etc. You have gotten some good recommendations. Dale Carty at Tasty's and Vernon Hughes at E's Oven are local chefs that are excellent. The seafood salad at Tasty's is wonderful. The half chicken at E's is probably the best chicken I have ever had. Don't know what he does differently but it is really good as is the Coconut crusted grouper with a rum curry cream sauce. Road side stands cook lots if chicken and ribs. There is a new place called Sugar and Spice Bakery and Bistro that is located overlooking the west end of the airport runway. Heard they had shark and stingray on the menu. Haven't tried it yet but will in Dec. I am a curry nut and had great goat curry at Straw Hat. Also excellent shark. Try the tuna flatbread as an appetizer. They do pork belly but I haven't tried that yet. If you crave pizza the seafood pizza at The Corner Bar in North Hill is excellent. When we eat at Picante which is sort of Carib--Mex I have the seafood enchiladas which are very good. The chocolate pudding for dessert is excellent--not your mother's jello pudding. Go to Anacaona on Thursday night--They have a local native buffet---Chicken, ribs, fish, ox tail. peas and rice, mac and cheese, salads plantains. etc etc but the best part is the Mayoumba Folkloric show after dinner which is outstanding entertainment. Crayfish is popular on AXA and for that I would go to On Da Rocks in Island Harbor on Sat or Sun. Crayfish are $5 each-good deal. Believe Sun they have entertainment. If you find Conch chowder or Pumpkin soup on a menu try it. The pumpkin isn't the Halloween pumpkin as we know it but Calabassa squash. Might be on Jacalas menu. Madeariman Reef on Shoal Bay East has a very eclectic menu and a good place for lunch. Frankly I wouldn't spend much time eating at resort restaurants i.e. Viceroy and Cap We find the locally owned Independent restaurants to be much better and cheaper. So many restaurants so little time. Happy Eating !!!

Sfakia, Greece
Level Contributor
117 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: authentic food from anguilla ?

I agree with you on the resort restaurants. My rate comes with breakfast(Virtuoso) , so that may be it unless i get hungry late and order room service. I'll plan depending on which beach I'll be closest to.. I love curry goat and I plan on getting that at the straw hat based on your recommendation. Ox tail is something else I love including all seafood. Good BBQ ribs are on my list. We love the beach and meeting new people and we discovered that the best food is usually local joints, mom and pop restaurants or a local prof. trained in the culinary art that comes back home to fuse his knowledge with what's grown and raised locally. The hotel restaurants will be something of a last resort, lol.

Sfakia, Greece
Level Contributor
117 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: authentic food from anguilla ?

My wife , son and I aren't scared to try different things and lucky we have the same tastes and share , so we get a little taste of everything. I love Caribbean food all the spices in fact the only time I'll eat chicken is during my time in the Caribbean, so I'm def. going to try the chicken at E's. Thank You Howard, you are the man!

canton,ohio
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: authentic food from anguilla ?

Curried goat and cocounut curry chicken at Smokey's are some of my favorites

Zara's has local celebrity chef Shamash who serendades you from the kitchen - great garlic snapper and rasta pasta among others. Love his red pepper soup too.

Nat's Palm Grove is a unique place at Junk's Hole. Love his johnny cakes and he always has lobster and crayfish. Good rum punch. Big stretch of natural beach with only his little shack,often deserted even during high season.

Ribs and chicken at East End by the museum are some of my favorites on Fri Sat nites

Reply to: authentic food from anguilla ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted