We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip - blanchards or straw hat for lunch

Which West End Village hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, CA
Level Contributor
570 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
day trip - blanchards or straw hat for lunch

Hello. We are in for the day only. Would like to settle ourselves on a nice stretch of beach, have a nice lunch before grabbing the 3pm ferry, as well as walk along the shore to visit some rustic spots Anguilla is known for. Which stretch of beach & restaurant would you recommend to get the true island vibe of Anguilla? From my research I get a sense that all the beaches are public, and most all beachfront restaurants have beach chairs for rent - please correct me if I am wrong. Any light you can shed would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Mystic, CT
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip - blanchards or straw hat for lunch

Blanchards Beach Shack and Straw Hat are both on beautiful Meads Bay.

Food is more upscale at Straw Hat, more expensive, but beach chairs are free. Blanchards is more casual food, and you pay (I think $3.00 each) for beach chairs.

Enjoy!

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip - blanchards or straw hat for lunch

If you are talking about a "nice lunch" then definitely Straw Hat. Sit down service and a beautiful menu. The beach shack is stand up ordering at a window and then find a picnic table to eat at. Straw Hat, no contest.

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip - blanchards or straw hat for lunch

You could also have your nice lunch at Straw Hat, then walk down the beach to the Beach Shack and grab a cocktail or dessert and some beach chairs. That way, you can experience a little of both!

Have fun!

Uni

Ottawa, CA
Level Contributor
570 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip - blanchards or straw hat for lunch

Thanks everyone! Great recommendation - will do Straw Hat for lunch and a cocktail & dessert at the Blanchards - just ordered the book and can't wait to read. ARe there any other spots along the beach that might have some reggae/carribean music playing to enjoy?

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip - blanchards or straw hat for lunch

Straw Hat..period!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,587 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip - blanchards or straw hat for lunch

Straw Hat for me! A-Number one! Love it there!

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
3,651 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trip - blanchards or straw hat for lunch

Not sure about the reggae, I've never seen it but there is a new restaurant on Meads very close to Straw Hat called Ocean Echo and I've read they have it at night. Anybody know if they are doing music with lunch?

New York
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day trip - blanchards or straw hat for lunch

No music at lunch, but I know Boss is there every other Sunday night, alternating with DJ Sugar.

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: day trip - blanchards or straw hat for lunch

Can you go in for just a drink and listen to the bands? Any idea what time they start playing on Sunday nights? I'm thinking we'll head there after On Da Rocks!

Thanks!!!

Uni

10. Re: day trip - blanchards or straw hat for lunch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, January 12, 2014