We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car versus staying at the hotel

Which West End Village hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
2 posts
Save Topic
Renting a car versus staying at the hotel

I have done so much research on this and I still can't figure... We are looking to stay at Cap Juluca for 5-7 days and are debating doing the dinner meal plan versus renting a car and exploring the island for dinners. I realize everyone says the island is magnificent and to explore away - but we like our rum punches and wine (maybe too much! ) - Are the restaurants in town really WORTH it? Or will we be overly satisfied with the restaurants on the Cap Juluca property? We are looking to relax and stay put... but don't want to be dissapointed when dinner comes around!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
364 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car versus staying at the hotel

Consider the city. If you're from Manhattan, are you OK with hanging around downtown (or uptown)? Or do you like to hail a cab/ get on the subway and frequently visit different areas (i.e., Shoal and other beaches) and new restaurants (see the myriad posts on eating out here).

We stay at Carimar, and some folks are perfectly happy never leaving Mead's. On the other hand, we ourselves love to visit different beaches, restaurants and bars, and always rent vehicles.

Really a choice you can't go wrong with, depending on your own preferences.

NYC
Level Contributor
267 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car versus staying at the hotel

If you like your wine/cocktails too much (like me!), consider taking a taxi to some of the wonderful restaurants. While it can be pricey, I find it totally worth it!

Enjoy, whatever you decide to do!

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car versus staying at the hotel

There really aren't restaurants "in town" -- many of the best are quite close to Cap on the West End (like 5-10 minutes away): Trattoria, Mangos, Jacala, Straw Hat, to name a few. There are truly wonderful restaurants on the island -- definitely give them a try!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car versus staying at the hotel

Here is my suggestion. You will be on the West End where there are plenty of great restaurants. My hubby and I like to have a few cocktails too-and always stay at Cuisinart. We've just found it easier to take cabs. We have the same driver all week and we just tell him each night when to get us and then he comes back to pick us up whenever we would like. It takes the hassle out of it, and then there are no worries as to how many rum punches you may have! Believe me, don't do the meal plan. Too many good restaurants to enjoy. Besides you get continental breakfast included in your stay. We do that, skip lunch, have a little snack late in the day from the groceries we've bought, and off to a super nice dinner.

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car versus staying at the hotel

We always stay at Cap - go out for dinner 4 out of 6 nights and lunch 3 out of 6 days and we always take a cab. We have been using the same taxi driver for 7 years. His name is Jerry. Just call the concierge at Cap - ask them to call a taxi (or Jerry) and your driver will take you to the restaurant - then you get his card and you call him as you are having desert and he is there waiting for you when you are done. They are so trusting in Anguilla that you only pay when you get back to your hotel. Take a cab- enjoy the amazing restaurants - most within 8-15 minutes of Cap and don't worry if you have a few too many Martins!

Don't get the meal plan!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
800 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car versus staying at the hotel

IMO Anguilla has so many splendid dining options that you'd miss out on if you never left CJ. I would enjoy the alcholic beverages and take a cab.

East Coast, US
Level Contributor
29 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car versus staying at the hotel

I would rent a Hyundai Getz (that seems to be every car on the island!) for $250 - $300, and use it to explore during the day, venture out for a few lunches, beaches. I think you will regret it if you don't. The beach at Cap is nice, but the Island is worth exploring and its totally safe and doable.

For dinner, I would do the taxi and also enjoy some dinners at the hotel, so you can enjoy your cocktails and keep yourselves and others on the road safe.

Your location is perfect for this hybrid approach, and the car and taxi costs compared to to the total cost of the stay at Cap are not likely to be significant, IMHO. You are bound to have a great time whatever you decide!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,485 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a car versus staying at the hotel

What "lovethesungal" said ... exactly fits the bill.

No kidding!!

NYC
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a car versus staying at the hotel

It seems like a consistent opinion that we should be exploring the island for dinner! Its good to know (and something I didn't realize) that alot of the good restaurants are close to CJ and totally do-able by a cab. Sounds like great advice. As I have been digging through all the forums/reviews, I've seen a ton of restaurant reccomendations. There are so many, its tough to keep them all straight! My husband and I really appreciate a great meal! Where would you send us for great food and a good atmosphere?! Some memorable spots for our first trip (and hopefully not our last) to Anguilla!

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
203 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting a car versus staying at the hotel

A rental car can be as cheap as $35/day, a taxi ride one-way from one part of the island to another can be $26. I recomend getting a rental car even if you don't use it everyday...but I also recomend patronizing taxi drivers when budgeting isn't an issue. If you like to explore like we do, a rental car is a must.