We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Eagle

Which West End Village hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
American Eagle

Just alerted from other forum that after late March American may

be dropping the Eagle flight from San Juan to AXA altogether!

I just checked my May dates and computer said they (AA) do not

fly this route!!!!! ?????

Connecticut
Level Contributor
356 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Eagle

After reading the board, I just contact AA and learned that our 4/1 flight from SJU to AXA was canceled. I was told by the AA rep (Monday morning) that Eagle will now only fly from SJU to AXA (and reverse) on Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Eagle

So typical of AA , they are well known for cancelling! It's a wonder they're still in business! Fly to SXM instead, cheaper and less hastle.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: American Eagle

Well now I understand what's going on!!!! I tried to book our flights for 3/15(a Monday) and the AA site said that there were no flights scheduled. I

So much for lengthening the runway, etc. So typical of AA.

AXA Beach Bum

Anguilla
Level Contributor
920 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: American Eagle

Islander isn't a big fan of American, but this may not be entirely their fault. Anguilla's Air Access Coordinator, popularly known as "The Tsarina," designed and implemented a costly plan to establish a subsidised charter service between San Juan and Anguilla. This competition may be at least part of the reason American has made these recent cancellations.

Far more than most people want to know about the background story are found at:

http://corruptionfreeanguilla.blogspot.

com/2009/01/access-tsar.html

Rainbow International and Anguilla Air Express have the same ownership. The proposal to get the private sector to pick up the cost of the subsidy failed. It must be very costly because we still don't know what it costs, the Tsarina having announced that how taxpayers' money is spent is "none of our business."

Islander

Edited: 5:16 pm, January 25, 2010
Boston
Level Contributor
235 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American Eagle

We travel every Christmas/New Year and start planning now for our return visit. AA has cut lots of flights and routes. Many of their nonstop flights from Boston to the Carib, including SXM, have been cut. Schedules are making it harder to get to AXA and many other islands in a more resonable time frame. Unfortunate in that it will only serve to reduce the no. of visitors and not good for business in general.

Boston...
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American Eagle

We just booked our May/June trip and are leaving AXA on AA flight #4805 on June 10, 2010 at 3:00PM.

Just checked our reservation and that flight is still on our reservation.

It would appear to us to be a matter of passenger support. If there is enough passengers booking in and out of Anguilla, I don't believe American would drop the route... at least we hope not.

I DO NOT like having to take the ferry from and then to SXM.

If American does change this leg on our trip, you will hear me screaming immediately!

ENJOY!

alegaleg

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American Eagle

I wouldn't count on this flight. Last year Eagle flights were changed for our May trip making an overnight in San Juan necessary. We also had a July trip booked which didn't reflect this change until a month later. We ended up cancelling this July trip :( From the information I have gathered sounds like

Eagle will only fly Saturday/Sundays/Monday. I would call AA.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
800 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American Eagle

As a frequent AA flyer, I would not book a trip to AXA with them. We are booking w/ US Air and flying into SXM. Less headaches, cheaper and no suprises.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
366 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: American Eagle

alegaleg--you must be travelling on Sat, Sun or Mon. After March, those are the only days AAE will fly SJU-AXA routes. If booked on any other days, your SJU-AXA leg of your booking has been cancelled.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: American Eagle

alegaleg, Your positive approach with AA is very good. But don't think for 1 minute that AA will not cancel because there are enough passengers on that route to and from AXA. They do whatever they have to and that includes cancelling. They have cancelled many flights on us and others because............?..no reason. They do what they have to do. Good luck!