We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Buy Rum and Wine

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to Buy Rum and Wine

We are staying at the Palace at Playa Grande and opted not to include the inclusive alcohol since we are not sure how much we want to drink. So I would like to pick up some rum (suggestions?), a bottle of wine a a six pack of beer. Where would be the best place? Also, I would like to pick up an inexpensive cooler to take to the beach so where would be good for that also?

Dwayne

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,980 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Buy Rum and Wine

You can buy rum almost anywhere. Which airport are u coming from? If POP, you could stop at a supermarket in Sosua, Playero or if coming from El Catey at a Supermarket in Nagua. Cheap coolers, beer and rum can be found all over, even in many of the small colmados and there are several in Cabrera. A better wine selection is found at the larger supermarkets.

Ask your driver coming from the airport and for a tip they will stop for you at a "supermercado".

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Buy Rum and Wine

Thanks. We are flying into POP and renting a car so no driver to ask directions. So best bet will be first where to find n ATM away from the airport to get some pesos and then a decent size supermarket would be the best to get wine, rum, mixer and a cooler. Should we stop in Sosua?

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,980 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Buy Rum and Wine

The Playero Supermarket is on the right side at the traffic light entering El Batey Sosua about 11 minutes from the Airport. It is the largest and has everything you need. My favorite rum is Barcelo many others like Brugal, they have both and more. I have read that they exchange dollars but have not done this myself. I never pay anything in dollars. There is an ATM at the airport which may be the most convenient for you. If you prefer there are a handful of banks in El Batey which are only a few minutes from Playero.

A few other tips: Do not drive at night; have your seatbelts Always on, the light at Playero is next to the Police station and they will stop you. Cabrera is a great spot, enjoy.

4. Re: Where to Buy Rum and Wine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, August 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Cabrera
More Cabrera Topics