We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport

Devon
10 posts
Save Topic
Airport

Has anyone heard announcement of new Airport at Penonome or Anton - and when work on it will commence?

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport

There's been talk for a while about making Penonome a regional airport to service the resorts in Farallon etc.

Just this past week it was in the paper that the new government is examining how best to make use of the existing airport infrastructure and to develop a plan but nothing has been confirmed as yet.

Cheers,

Andrew

Mentioned in this post
Farallon
Farallon
Rio Hato, Panama
Devon
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport

Thank you very much for your reply.

Would really appreciate it if you could post any more up-to-date info if you hear more.

Toronto
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport

AndrewGW. Do you mean the old one at Rio Hato?

Say it aint so. We have a home in Buenaventura and that would not be good news given the noise etc that would cause. Way too close to the resorts in my mnd.

Mentioned in this post
Rio Hato
Rio Hato
Cocle Province, Panama
Buenaventura
Buenaventura
Valle del Cauca Department, Colombia
Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport

No, from what I have read the Rio Hato strip would be closed completely and the airport in Penonome would be expanded and improved to allow larger airplanes to land there.

Still nothing definite but Rio Hato isn't an option due to the Highway crossing the middle of it. Plus it's prime land for future development.

Cheers,

Andrew

Mentioned in this post
Rio Hato
Rio Hato
Cocle Province, Panama
Toronto
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport

I had heard like TonjoDevon that it would be somewhere between and south of Penonome and Anton. Then I heard that Rio Hato was being looked at.

Never heard that the existing Penonome was to be expanded.

Just as long as it is not Rio Hato, I would be happy. As I am sure BV, Nikki Beach, Decameron,Playa Blancs etc would be.

Mentioned in this post
Rio Hato
Rio Hato
Cocle Province, Panama
Devon
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport

Has anyone heard a decision regarding the Airport at Penonome or Anton? and when this is likely to happen?

We would be very interested to be updated with news anyone has heard.

Devon
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport

Has anyone heard yet re: new Airport at Penonome? We would be pleased to hear of any news on this topic.

Devon
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport

Has anyone heard any news re: new Airport in Penonome, or possibly Anton?

We would be grateful to hear anything about this.

Edited: 9:58 am, January 17, 2010
Las Margaritas/El...
Level Contributor
789 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport

Hi!

There is no new talk about an airport between Rio Hato and Penonomee. There is always talk and nothing has ever happened. I have heard the talking about an airport since 2001. So don't hold your breath (LOL)! I'll believe it when I see actual construction!!

Mary

www.whypanama.com

Mentioned in this post
Rio Hato
Rio Hato
Cocle Province, Panama
Balboa, Panama
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport

Last week the newspapers reported that according to the boss of Civl Aviation, Penonome would be the best location for a new international airport.

Rio Hato seems to be out of the picture. 2 Days later, however, the mayor of Divisa mentioned the Penonome choice has more to do with some big politicians owning for future tourism development around Penonome than technical reasons.

Regardless, if the mayor is right, that greatly improves the chances of Penonome because everything in Panama moves around financial decisions, not technical criteria.

And the Penonome lobby was quoted to vigirously defend the interests of Penonome.

So, Penonome is looking good. But, let's wait and see first. This IS Panama after all.

Thorwald

Selva Santa Fe Nature Estates

Mentioned in this post
Rio Hato
Rio Hato
Cocle Province, Panama
Panama
Panama
Central America
Get answers to your questions about Penonome
Recent Conversations