We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choosing between cruise iteneraries, CM worth the stop?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Athens, GA
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Choosing between cruise iteneraries, CM worth the stop?

Hi,

My fiance and I are booking our honeymoon for July 09, and trying to decide between 2 cruise iteneraries. The last cruise I was on in 2003 stopped at Costa Maya for a day, and it was a very new port, had little to do without going inland, and had areas that were very undeveloped and at one time unsafe.

What is Costa Maya like, and is it worth stopping at for the day??

Thanks!

New Albany
Level Contributor
53 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choosing between cruise iteneraries, CM worth the stop?

We went there on a Carnival cruise in January, people onboard for the most part either took the all inclusive beach resort package, ruins tour or just shopped in the terminal area. So there are things to do now.

Costa Maya and Belize were my 2 favorite ports because they were not over-developed.

Virginia
Level Contributor
954 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choosing between cruise iteneraries, CM worth the stop?

I haven't been back to Costa Maya since they rebuilt the area (after hurricane). We were there twice before the re-build. We toured the ruins once and the first time we just wandered around, had a massage on the beach. The first time the stop was added at last minute due to Cozumel pier being wiped out by hurricane (I'm noticing a trend here), and we weren't sure what to expect. We had a great time on our ruin tour, with a local company not the cruise ship.

The place was built specifically as a cruise ship stop. We liked it.

3. Re: Choosing between cruise iteneraries, CM worth the stop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, November 15, 2009