We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

punta allen or xcalak?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
punta allen or xcalak?

Hi! We're spending about 9 days on the riviera maya in June. After 2 nights near Chichen Itza we're going to spend probably 3 nights in or around Tulum, but then we want to drive further south to really get away from it all. we're looking at Punta Allen and Xcalak--both seem to have the kind of lodging we're looking for so we need to stack up other comparisions:

driving distance/difficulty from Tulum (eventually back to cancun for our flight)/

best beach for swimming?

best beach for snorkeling?

and, if there is good wildlife to see nearby (we will visit Sian Ka'an biosphere earlier)?

we may do a fishing trip, but we may also just explore around, beach it, etc.

any other considerations? recommendations welcome!

thanks!

Pleasanton...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: punta allen or xcalak?

For more information about the wildlife, check out this site - www.yucatanwildlife.com

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: punta allen or xcalak?

The road to Punta Allen from Tulum is very rough. I understand it can take 2-3 hours at times. I saw convoys of jeeps taking tourists to Putat Allen for day trips. The guides at Cesiak in the biosphere are concened about these convoys disrupting the wildlife. If you could get there my boat it could be a great trip, but everyone I asked they said it was "too far" which is odd because a boat could go faster than a car. I did not get there. I heard it is a great place for fishing & snorkeling on the reef.

Xcalak is about the same driving time even though it much further away. The roads are better.

I would be interested in hearing from someone who has been to both places.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
299 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: punta allen or xcalak?

I've been to both.

It's true that the road to Punta Allen is dirt and can be rough in places....and it's slow if you find yourself behind a camper..... but it's much closer to Tulum than Xcalak. It took well over an hour to get to Punta Allen. Xcalak is 4 hours south of Tulum.

I think that the beach & swimming is better in Punta Allen (lots of grass in Xcalak). Xcalak has great diving and fishing. I enjoyed the snorkling at both places. Xcalak gives one a feeling of being far far away (most places there have no eletricity for one thing). The road to Xcalak (after the turn-off for Mauahal) runs along the back side of Sian Kan, so there's plenty of wild life - which keeps your speed down as you will have a real problem if you hit some big critter sunning himself on the road.

Much depends on your time and desire to drive. I truly had a great time at both places but must admit that I like Xcalak better.

Hope you have a great trip!

4. Re: punta allen or xcalak?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, December 12, 2009