We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane Dean Relief Fund

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
south of...
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hurricane Dean Relief Fund

I am gonna go out on a limb and post this I read elsewhere and a link to the donation site. Thanks, I am sure you understand why.

Quote:

The devastation to the area terrain is mind boggling. Huge coconut trees were snapped off at their basses - not uprooted. I lost maybe two or three meters of beach exposing coconut roots which could damage thirty year old trees. I need to somehow find a trash pump to replace the sand or they'll surely die soon. I've had difficulty obtaining one over the last year here even prior to this. Sure wish I had.

But, all in all, other than a ton of work that I'm still not in the mood to do, I'll be ok. It is the poor folks of this area I am concerned about. Over the past years, we have made their traditional fishing grounds a marine park and forced them to change professions as support of the tourism industry here. Sure, their standard of living improved substantially, but with the cruise ship pier gone, hotels closed for major repair (something they are nearly incapable of participating in, I might add.) they are left homeless, penniless and without any future means of support for, most likely another year at the earliest. There is maybe 1/1,000th or less of the interest in this area that the Riviera Maya had due to the success of Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen and other very large developments, so aid to these folks will probably be a drop in the bucket compared to their needs. For this, I am deeply concerned.

Well, that just about wraps up my balancing act on my new soap box. I appreciate your concerns for me. If somehow, you could find it your hearts to donate to Loco Gringo’s relief fund which will help these neediest of people, I would be sincerely appreciative. These folks need help more than I do and I will do anything possible to provide them with all I can.

I realize times are difficult all round the world. Please do not feel embarrassed if you can give only a few dollars. In as much as I would like to see some huge corporate donations, I do not really expect them. The people of the Costa Maya are simple, frugal folk. Even under normal circumstances, they can feed themselves for a month on about 250 Mexican pesos (less than 25 bucks.) A small contribution would put a smile on somebody’s face for a while. The world needs more smiles. Will you send some down here? They are desperately needed. Help LocoGringo.com help them, please. If you can’t, would you be so kind to refer somebody who might to LocoGringo.com so they can witness for themselves what a disastrous, category five hurricane Dean has done. In a few days, I’ll be out and will post more photos and information. I thank you for your attention and any assistance you might provide.

https://www.locogringo.com/dean/relief.cfm

south of...
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricane Dean Relief Fund

Bumping for all to see.

2. Re: Hurricane Dean Relief Fund

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, September 08, 2009