We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-week trip (Kunming-Dali-Lijiang-Shangrila)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2-week trip (Kunming-Dali-Lijiang-Shangrila)

I am planning for 2-week backpacking trip in Kunming, Dali, Lijiang and Shangrila in this November. The weather in Shangrila is too bad for travel at that time. and is it dangerous for going to Yubeng village to see Meili Snow Mountain. Or do you have any recommends for the trip?

Many thx.

Wit Kim

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-week trip (Kunming-Dali-Lijiang-Shangrila)

At that time of year consider going south from Kunming instead of going north. Visit southern and southwestern Yunnan where it is warm.

In the west of Yunnan, have a look at Baoshan and Dehong prefectures, along the Burma border. In the southwest, check out Lincang and Pu'er prefectures, especially the mountainous south part of Pu'er. Then of course there's also the more popular tropical Xishuanbanna prefecture, bordering Laos.

Lots to see in those parts; many great places a bit off the main Yunnan tourist trail. Very rewarding and the weather will be great.

Dali, Lijiang, and Shangri-La are the Yunnan places everyone thinks about first, but they are not necessarily the best, especially in winter.

Edited: 9:51 pm, June 09, 2013
Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-week trip (Kunming-Dali-Lijiang-Shangrila)

My husband and I visited Yunnan in November. It was lovely in Lijiang and Dali and the drive to Shangrila was beautiful. I would not recommend a visit to Shangrila in November as it was bitterly cold and the countryside looked bleak and desolate. We did not go to Kunming.

On that trip we also included Sichuan. I would recommend Jiuzhaigou in November.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2-week trip (Kunming-Dali-Lijiang-Shangrila)

In November, weather at Shangri-La & Deqin (the nearest county for Meili Snow Mountain) are not bad, just cloudy. Herein are the past 2-years historical weather records (2011/2012)

Shangri-La: Sunny, 13-days. Cloudy, 10-days. Snow, 7-days. -10c~16C/ Sunny, 5-days. Cloudy, 21-days. Snow, 2-days. Overcast, 1-day. Rain, 1-day. -9c~14C.

Deqin: Sunny, 13-days. Cloudy, 10-days. Snow, 7-days. -16c~14C/ Sunny, 5-days. Cloudy, 18-days. Snow, 6-days. Overcast, 1-day. -5c~14C.

FYI.

4. Re: 2-week trip (Kunming-Dali-Lijiang-Shangrila)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:22 am, December 24, 2014
Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2-week trip (Kunming-Dali-Lijiang-Shangrila)

The best photograph season for Mount Kawa Karpo/Meili is late October and early November.So you make a good choice.Do please bring enough warm clothes.

I don't agree with ZhongguoKM ,as Witsarut K is from Thailand,and he may want to see something that he can't see at home.Why he travel long to China for the Hinayana Buddhist Temples,elephants and rain forest which are pretty common at home?In my opion,snow mountain and glaciers are more attractive for him.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2-week trip (Kunming-Dali-Lijiang-Shangrila)

#5 -- Oops! You're right. I hadn't realized the OP was from Thailand.

KL
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2-week trip (Kunming-Dali-Lijiang-Shangrila)

I am also planning a trip top Shangrila. I love your honest opinion and really it may not necessary that we like the cold. Options are given and thanks to everyone who gave their genuine recommendations :)

Queensland...
Level Contributor
136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2-week trip (Kunming-Dali-Lijiang-Shangrila)

we will be in Shangri la mid december and trying to find a reasonable priced place with good heating for family of 3, any suggestions. Nothing to fancy but warm and in old town area, thanks

Penang Island...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 2-week trip (Kunming-Dali-Lijiang-Shangrila)

i will be visiting Lijiang in mid december.i am looking for driver to take us to TLG,zhongdian 3 days 2 night round trip with warm ,comfort and clean room.

would appreciate if any recommendation for this trip.

Penang Island...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 2-week trip (Kunming-Dali-Lijiang-Shangrila)

i will be visiting Lijiang in mid december.i am looking for driver to take us to TLG,zhongdian 3 days 2 night round trip with warm ,comfort and clean room.

would appreciate if any recommendation for this trip.