We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this TDP itinerary possible?

Which Torres del Paine National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is this TDP itinerary possible?

We get into Santiago early in the morning on Saturday, March 22nd. Stay the day in Santiago, catching the Colo Colo soccer match that evening. Depart Santiago early Sunday morning, arriving in Punta Arenas around 9:30 am. Rent a car in Punta Arenas and drive up to Torres Del Paine, arriving in the afternoon/evening. We would then stay Sunday through Wednesday morning in Torres del Paine, going on day hikes everyday. Where would be a cheap location to stay for two guys in their 20's that don't want anything fancy, just a place to sleep? How much would this roughly cost?

Depart Torres Del Paine Wednesday afternoon, and staying the night in Punta Arenas, flying back to Santiago Thursday morning. Our flight departing from Santiago back to the USA is Friday morning. Does this itinerary seem like too much in too little time?

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
574 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this TDP itinerary possible?

Ecocamp Patagonia would be recommended. I've not stayed there but have stayed at the adjacent Las Torres Hotel and they are probably the best situated accommodations in the park as many great day hikes start right there. Other places will not be as conveniently near the good hiking and you would have to drive to near Ecocamp anyway. The refugios and camps are cheaper but you need to hike in/out.

Personally, a total of 2.5 days in TDP and a soccer game in Chile sounds like way too little activity with all the travel effort involved. Your drive to/from Punta Arenas will be 6 to 7 hours each way with very little of interest along the way; they are effectively lost days.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this TDP itinerary possible?

Thanks for the response Kairho1. What if we were to modify the itinerary to the following:

Stay at Santiago Airport once we arrive from the USA, and fly straight down to Punta Arenas, arriving Saturday morning. Then travel via bus to Torres del Paine, arriving in the late afternoon/evening. Could we complete the W trek in time for a Thursday morning flight out of Punta Arenas?

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
574 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this TDP itinerary possible?

I don't think that's enough time. A minimum of 5 days is advisable and you have only 4. But maybe if you skipped one of the legs? At least 4 days is better than 2.5!

A good source for information is stephandben.com/2012/04/map-how-to-hike-w-in… I particularly like the second map's plan.

I have not hiked any of the W but two weeks ago rode on horseback from Hosteria Los Torres to Regugio Cuernos and back. That's the red route on the second map. Riding and hiking are pretty much the same in terms of elapsed time so it's 4 to 4.5 hours one way. We had plenty of time to chill at the refugio (a couple of hours) and return to the hotel.

I would recommend the following for four days: day one do the green route out and back. Day two, short day hike to Refugio Cuernos and overnight. Day three, day hike Valle Frances and overnight back at Refugio Cuernos. Day four hike to Refugio Grande, take the boat back to Pudeto where busses meet the boat and go to Puerto Natales. I don't know about connections onwards to Punta Arenas but that's easily researched.

Or something like that (there are good variations) depending on your fitness level (most everything is medium graded).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
133 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this TDP itinerary possible?

Aaron,

My wife and I did something similar (flew into Punta Arenas, drove up to TDP, stayed in a cheap place and did day hikes) here is my trip report, hope it helps.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g670171-i12474-k52…

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this TDP itinerary possible?

EcoCamp Patagonia is a bit on the pricey side. You can camp or stay in the refugios also (http://www.fantasticosur.com/en/ and http://www.verticepatagonia.com/ ) for about $46 per night (basic bed that requires sleeping bag).

I've written an overview article on TdP here: travpacker.com/a-guide-to-torres-del-paine-n…

and another article with distances and itineraries here: http://travpacker.com/?p=1700

6. Re: Is this TDP itinerary possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 27, 2015