We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a trekking buddy.

Buenos Aires...
8 posts
Save Topic
Looking for a trekking buddy.

Feb 7th. Hi! I’m 66. I love mountains and trekking. And I can’t help reaching the Torres del Paine Lookout, Chile, this very year, this very month. Is anybody in the world with a similar idea? Because of age, it is necessary to trek slower than “normal” trekking teams do. That’s why I’m not joining them and I’m looking for A-BIT-SLOWER-TREKKING-MATE. My intention is to arrive at Torres del Paine National Park in two or three week’s time. Come in! Carpe Diem! Seize the day!

Hen_Hen_Henry

Blackburn, United...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a trekking buddy.

Henry, We (Erik and Phil) are staying @ Las Torres Patagonia 24-27 Feb. We are also looking to do some walking/trekking. You are welcome to join us if you want. We are in the same age-group as yourself. Please let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

Erik

Buenos Aires...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a trekking buddy.

Hello guys! Thanks A LOT for replying my post.

My plans, which are still no totally definite, are entirely compatible with the period of time you are planning to stay at TdP Park. Of course, having been invited for you, I’m willing to accept your propositions.

I was thinking about staying in Refugio Torre Norte. And from there:

• trek towards the Lookout,

• passing by Refugio El Chileno (2 hs),

• then passing by “Campamento Torres” (1,5 hs) (a CONAF camping)

• to finally arrive at the Lookout (Mirador) (1 h).

• enjoy there the breathtaking scenery.

• . . . and then return by the same trail (4,5 hs)

BUT IT SEEMS TO BE TOO HARD. I’ve read in another TripAdvisor post (see Islandgirl3285 Columbus, Ohio. 10. Re: Day hike in TDP Feb 21, 2013, 3:42 PM) “Someone previously said that it takes 3 hrs to the towers and 3 hrs back--my husband and I are young (26 and 28) and in good shape but it ended up taking us a full 8 hours total to get to the tours[towers] and back from Hotel Las Torres. It was worth it, of course, but it was about the maximum amount of exertion we could muster and could barely walk across the parking lot to return to our car”

So, an alternative plan could be:

• To stay in Refugio Torre Norte just for the first night. Rent there a tent and sleeping bags (to be used later).

• trek towards the Lookout,

• passing by Refugio El Chileno (2 hs),

• arrive at “Campamento Torres” (1,5 hs)

• settle the tent there.

• hike the surroundings in “mini-hikes”

• spend there the second night

• trek towards the Lookout (1 h).

• stay there all the time that “refueling our minds and souls” could take

• return to Campamento Torres and spend there the 3rd night

• return to Refugio Torre Norte, passing by El Chileno (1.5 + 2 = 3.5 hs)

What do you think about these thoughts?

I’m looking forward to hearing from you

Henry

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a trekking buddy.

My husband and I are in our early 50s and we did the return walk to the mirador at the base of the towers from Hotel las Torres in 7.5 hours including a break for lunch. It wasn't an easy stroll by any means but certainly achievable.

Edited: 1:46 am, February 09, 2014
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a trekking buddy.

Henry,

Thanks for your message.

Phil and I have booked and paid for three nights accomodation @ Las Torres Patagonia.

We are travelling from El Calafate on the morning of the 24th Feb and the plan is to arrive @ the hotel late afternoon/early evening as we have also included a full day excursion which ends @ Laguna Amarga that day.

We intend to walk/trek from/back to the hotel on the 25/26 Feb.

We have not made any firm plans as of yet.

We transfer to Punta Arenas on the 27th Feb

Cheers

Erik

Buenos Aires...
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a trekking buddy.

Dear Brissie Girl of Brisbane,

Thanks very much for your info AND for encouraging me to dare to go there [it rhymes, doesn’t it? :-) ]

I promise I’ll tell you how things would have been with me and my trekking buddies! Weather has never ever been on my side!!!!

Cheers

Henry

Buenos Aires...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a trekking buddy.

Dear Erik and Phil,

I can see that you still have free either Tue/25 or Wed/26, and you are looking forward to walking!

I would like to know if the proposed idea of visiting Torres del Paine Lookout is pleasant to you.

This viewpoint is the upper “tip” on the right side of the so called “the W”. And it seems to be the most spectacular scenery in the TdP National Park. In fact those granite towers seen there give the park its name.

By the way, I’m having difficulties in booking my stay. Tomorrow I’ll try again. But one way or another, I’ll be there on those days. Take it for granted!

Cheers

Henry

3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a trekking buddy.

Henry,

Depending upon the weather it is highly likely that on either the 25th or 26th Feb that we will be walking up to the Torres Del Paine Lookout.

We believe that the path goes past the Las Torres Patagonia Hotel where we are staying, and is easy enough to follow ???

We think that it will take between 7/8 hours.

We will be asking the question about timescales once we arrive @ the hotel.

Cheers

Erik

Buenos Aires...
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a trekking buddy.

Hello, Erik and Phil! I’ve finally booked a bed at Refugio Torre Central (Fantásticosur Group) for 24, 25 and 26. That hut is about 1 Km from your Hotel. So, I could pay you a visit on 24 after dinner in order to get to know each other and talk about plans and details for 25/26. My plan for 24 is to set off from Puerto Natales (by bus) early in the morning to arrive mid-morning at Torre Central. By the way, when are you arriving in Argentina?

Henry

3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a trekking buddy.

Henry,

Thanks for the message.

We are looking forward to meeting you on the 24th Feb in the evening to talk about 25/26.

We arrive in El Calafate on the morning of the 21st.

Don't know what Phil will be wearing, but I'll have either my white England cricket top or my blue Everton Football Club one.

Cheers

Erik

Buenos Aires...
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a trekking buddy.

Dear Erik,

Three weeks have passed since the day we had agreed on trekking to the Torres del Paine lookout. On 24th Feb I went to your hotel, as we had appointed, at dinner time. I went through every single table at the restaurant of the hotel with a sign “Erik and Phil” … but you weren’t there. I assumed that perhaps there had been a mistake with the hotel name. Then, on 25 I tried to contact Terra Patagonia Hotel by radio. But, not having your surnames, the receptionist wasn’t able to check on the check-in list. At that point, I decided to climb on my own on 26th. Just in case you were on the trail, I put the sign I had used at the restaurant…in the rear of my backpack! I’ll send you the photo! Finally, I got the lookout. IT IS AMAZING. I would like to know about you. Please, tell me what happened. Are you OK? I look forward to hearing from you.

Henry