We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starting W at Refugio Grey

Boston...
Level Contributor
137 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Starting W at Refugio Grey

I'm planning to do the West to East route but I'm wondering why I haven't seen an option to start at Refugio Grey via ferry. It seems most logical to take the ferry from the Hotel Lago Grey to Refugio Grey and start the W there, rather than start at Grande Paine making a full-day round trip hike. Has anyone done this or does anyone know why this is not feasible? There is a Lago Grey ferry but does it only do scenic tours and won't drop off hikers? I'm wondering if it's much more expensive than the Pehoe ferry too.

If it is actually possible, then I am wondering about logistics of having a car parked at Hotel Lago Grey. Is there a shuttle we could take from Las Torres 4 days later to retrieve our car? Or vice versa, leave the car at las Torres and take a shuttle to the Lago Grey Ferry on day 1?

Boston...
Level Contributor
137 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Starting W at Refugio Grey

Trip update (November 2013):

There are shuttle vans that run between Hotel Las Torres and Laguna Amarga. We waited at the little kiosko in the parking lot of the hotel at 8:45am and a small van pulled up and took us for 2500 pesos/person ($3). We got to Laguna Amarga and waited for the big busses coming from Puerto Natales and El Calafate. All the passengers got off to pay their park fees and the empty busses pulled up to wait. Then they had to get all their stuff out of the bus to either go to Las Torres via van, or reboard to continue on to Pudeto. The vans we came in on took people back to Las Torres Hotel around 9:45am. The busses then went to Pudeto for another 2500 pesos/person ($3). We arrived at the cafe with about an hour to eat and wait for the 12pm ferry. Ferry tickets are purchased on board, before disembarking.

12. Re: Starting W at Refugio Grey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 20, 2014