We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid-March or early April

London
Level Contributor
383 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Mid-March or early April

Hello,

I'm planning ahead a bit here...this is all for 2014. I'm flying into Santiago on 15th March from New Zealand, and flying out of Buenos Aires to London on 9th April. My focus is Chile, we are only flying out of BA cos that's where we could get a decently priced flight to London from.

We had planned to head straight to Patagonia given that we're already quite late in the season, and then work our way north, before returning to Santiago for a connecting flight to BA. However, given that I would quite like to see parts of Argentinian patagonia, it would sort of make sense to start in the Atacama, work our way down to Chilean patagonia, across to Argentinian patagonia and then fly up to BA and out.

My question is about the weather - are we significantly better off weatherwise being in Patagonia, say, 15th - 25th March compared to 30th March to 8th April? Or is it unlikely to make much difference? I see prices tend to be cheaper in April, will many services be shut down then?

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid-March or early April

Hi Debbie, I think the weather is unlikely to make much difference within such a short time frame! I went last April and had 7 days of sunshine, just luck i'm afraid! The benefits of April are that Torres del Paine has its 'Indian summer' in April with beautiful colours and more wildlife etc, as well as the lower prices as you noted. However, you have to balance that against the suspended/reduced frequency services you mention, which are the following:

Abril (shoulder season) the Pehoe navigation taking you to French Valley will not operate.

The boat trip to Glacier Grey may be cancelled as the boat requires a minimum of 8 passengers to sail, which might not be reached in some cases in April.

Hope that helps a bit. Best wishes,

Gemma (EcoCamp Patagonia Community Manager)

London
Level Contributor
383 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid-March or early April

Thanks very much for your advice. I might be leaning towards April, but will give it some further thought!

3. Re: Mid-March or early April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 21, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Torres del Paine...