We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chile Reciprocity Tax

rome
Level Contributor
31 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Chile Reciprocity Tax

We are entering Torres del Paine by bus from Argentina. Considering we will be passing through the border I imagine do we have to pay this Reciprocity Tax. I am Australian, and I know that if I were flying in by plane to Santiago I would have to do so, but in this case I am stunned. nobody can give me a clear answer as to what I should do

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,836 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chile Reciprocity Tax

smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Chile

Don't you believe your own government?

There are lots of posts on here about this fee. Nowhere have I seen it mentioned except in relation to Santiago airport international arrivals. (Obviously Argentina is very different).

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,534 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chile Reciprocity Tax

The rules are very clear and simple for Chile and the reciprocity fee for citizens of Australia, USA, Canada, Mexico: you only pay the fee if you arrive on an international flight at the airport in Santiago, where it is collected on arrival. That's it..

I gather from your post that you read or heard something different? A lot of people confuse the fee collection for Chile and Argentina. For Argentina you have to prepay the fee online for entering at any point, land or air. Cruise passengers will have to also pay from 1 July 2013.

rome
Level Contributor
31 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chile Reciprocity Tax

Ok. So pretty much what I understood on the net was correct, pay the fee only if you are coming in from Santiago Airport. Got it, thanks everyone for your help

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chile Reciprocity Tax

When you pay the reciprocity tax at Santiago airport, how long does it last. Do you have to pay everytime you go or is it a one off tax.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,362 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chile Reciprocity Tax

If you are Australian it lasts for 3 months.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Chile Reciprocity Tax

More specifically 90 days with day 1 being the entry day.

7. Re: Chile Reciprocity Tax

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 17, 2014