We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chalten Travel day tour

new york, ny
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Chalten Travel day tour

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about the Chalten Travel day tour from El Calafate? My friend and I are thinking of doing the one-way option to the park. Is it an actual tour, or just transportation? Thank so much to anyone who knows....We are hoping to do an actual tour and then hope to have time for a short hike after the tour ends as we will unfortunately only have that one day in the park.

Thank you for recommendations!

Meghann

Mentioned in this post
El Calafate
El Calafate
Province of Santa Cruz, Argentina
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,110 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chalten Travel day tour

If you only have one day you can take a tour from El Calafate but it is a very long day and you don't have much actual time in the park. If you only have one day, why would you take it one way? Or are you not returning to El Calafate?

Mentioned in this post
El Calafate
El Calafate
new york, ny
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chalten Travel day tour

Hi dancingmolly,

We aren't returning to el calafate. We will be staying in puerto natales that night and taking a bus down to punta arenas the next day. So, we were hoping that if we were taking the bus from el calafate to Torres del Paine at 7 am, we would arrive midday and still have a good amount of time in the park -a tour and maybe even some time to hike on our own. I'm hoping that the tour will show us a good bit of the park. Please let me know your thought on this plan. :)

Mentioned in this post
Torres del Paine National Park
Torres del Paine...
Magallanes Region, Chile
new york, ny
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chalten Travel day tour

Hi dancingmolly,

We aren't returning to el calafate. We will be staying in puerto natales that night and taking a bus down to punta arenas the next day. So, we were hoping that if we were taking the bus from el calafate to Torres del Paine at 7 am, we would arrive midday and still have a good amount of time in the park -a tour and maybe even some time to hike on our own before getting on a bus to puerto natales for the night.) I'm hoping that the tour will show us a good bit of the park. Please let me know your thought on this plan. :)

Mentioned in this post
Torres del Paine...
Magallanes Region, Chile
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,110 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chalten Travel day tour

The tour usually does some of the park and then returns to EC. But some people use it as transport only. You could ask if they would give you a price for the tour without the return. There are several companies which do that tour. You'll have to get a bus from the park to Puerto Natales after as the tours go directly to the park and not PN.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Natales
Puerto Natales
Magallanes Region, Chile
new york, ny
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chalten Travel day tour

Will do. Thanks so much!!

Milan, Italy
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Chalten Travel day tour

Hi meghann_r,

how was your experience? Is the transfer EL CALAFATE _TDP_Puerto Natales doable?

Thank you

David

Mentioned in this post
El Calafate
El Calafate
Puerto Natales
Puerto Natales
Magallanes Region, Chile
new york, ny
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chalten Travel day tour

Hi David,

We did Southroad's day tour of Torres del Paine, and selected the option to be left in the park. From the park, we took a bus to Puerto Natales for the night. Unfortunately, we had a rainy day for our day in Torres, so it is hard for me to say how good the tour would have been. We ended up driving around the park in the bus rather than doing much hiking. For us, I think it was still a good option as we needed to head south anyway (we had a flight from Punta Arenas to Santiago), and I'm glad we got to see the park even if the views were somewhat obscured by clouds. If you are a big hiker, it would be worth it to stay a night in the park if you can swing it.

Mentioned in this post
Torres del Paine...
Magallanes Region, Chile
Puerto Natales
Puerto Natales
Magallanes Region, Chile
Punta Arenas
Punta Arenas
Magallanes Region, Chile
Santiago
Santiago
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Chalten Travel day tour

Hi Meghann

How did you like the service from Southroads? I came across their details and am wondering if they are a good company to use. Did you book while in El Calafate or before going down?

Kristin

Mentioned in this post
El Calafate
El Calafate
9. Re: Chalten Travel day tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 04, 2014