We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please critique tdp preliminary itinerary

Which Torres del Paine National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Darwin
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
please critique tdp preliminary itinerary

We are planning to visit torres dell paine in april/ may and after for research on ta this is what I have come up with. We are a couple in our 30s and want to only spend a few days trekking and sleeping in refugios, not camping.

bus from el calafate direct to administracion, hike to mountain lodge paine grande. sleep here.

Hike from paine grande through valley frances to look up, back down and on to refugio los viremia. Sleep here

Hike back to laguna amarga and get bus back to el calafate same day.

Have I missed any real must sees? Is this too abmitious or could we fit more in? Its hard to plan just from a map without really knowing the hikes and terrains.

Cheers

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: please critique tdp preliminary itinerary

You should really try to climb up to the foot of the towers, it's the highlight of any trip to Torres del Paine! It's about a 20km round trip from the start of the trail, you could sleep at EcoCamp Patagonia or Hotel las Torres or Refugio Las Torres / Refugio Chileno. Grey Lake is also a highlight but far from laguna amarga, unlike the towers.

Happy planning!

Gemma (EcoCamp Patagonia Community Manager)

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,196 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: please critique tdp preliminary itinerary

Some of the refugios close for the winter. I think Paine Grande stays open but check with Fantastico Sur or Vertice depending on which ones you want to use.The catamaran on Lake Pehoe usually stops in late April. For most of April there will be one crossing each way per day. I have never heard of a refugio called Los Viremia. Do you mean Los Cuernos? I believe it is also open in winter.

In order to go from El Calafate directly to the park without changing bus in Puerto Natales, you would need to take a more expensive private transfer. There are a few companies which offer day trips to TdP from El Calafate and will transport you and pick you up another day. Your lodging should be able to arrange it for you. However, this may be a seasonal service, so check.

Darwin
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: please critique tdp preliminary itinerary

Ah yes I did mean los cuernos...sorry, predictive phone text

4. Re: please critique tdp preliminary itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 16, 2013