We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torres Del Paine - Open or closed????

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Torres Del Paine - Open or closed????

Does anyone know what the status of the park is? I have seen many conflicting reports on the location of the fire as well as its status. I assumed it would be closed for all of Jan but this morning read a report suggesting it is now opened. here is the link: torresdelpaine.com/ingles/…11.asp

Like many of you I have scrambled to make alternate arrangements but would hope to resume my initial plans to visit the park

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Torres Del Paine - Open or closed????

Perhaps confusion is the wrong word - but Las Torres communication is as follows: "Today, January 2, at 11:15 am, the president of Chile, Sebastian

Piñera, announced at a press conference that the Torres del Paine

National Park opens on Wednesday January 4, 2011.

There are important tourist attractions within the park which have not

been affected by the fire and that are now fully operational.

Hotel Las Torres Patagonia and Fantástico Sur Mountain

Lodges are fully operational and will be operating normally to

receive visitors once the park opens on January 4."

If as you are suggesting the park may re-open and parts unclear this is conflicting with their communique. Perhaps they are attempting to salvage business - this is what concerns me

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,429 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Torres Del Paine - Open or closed????

I listened to exactly what was said as the President spoke on TV. The President said that "ojalá" - hopefully - the park could open in parts on Wednesday and they would be evaluating the situation over the next 48 hours. Your communication is from Hotel Las Torres? This is not what was officially said but their take on it. I can see why that would be confusing. The park may indeed open on Wednesday and their properties may be open for business, but there has been no official communication as yet and without that the park remains closed.

The government has been clear that they do not want to open the park before they can ensure the safety of the visitors or open it just to have to evacuate people three days later. They also want to be sure that no one goes near the areas where the fire is to have a look. The winds are again strong and the fire is not yet out. So it is best to wait for the official go ahead for the park to open. By tomorrow they should have some idea if they can open parts of the park on Wednesday.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Torres Del Paine - Open or closed????

Suggest you monitor this thread for postings by patagonix who has been inside the park as a volunteer firefighter

www.allchile.net/chileforum/topic7279-60.html

I always interpret ojalá as "O how I wish".

Edited: 10:30 pm, January 02, 2012
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,429 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Torres Del Paine - Open or closed????

I have been reading px's posts, and anything else I can find relating to the fire. I have been listening to what is being said and trying to filter out the politics, the personal opinions (mine and others) and the noise and let people know where things stand officially. When the park opens, people can decide for themselves whether they go or not.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Torres Del Paine - Open or closed????

We are scheduled to stay at Explora from January 21 through January 26. Even if the hotel is opened, what experience could we anticipate? Any ideas? I need to make a decision today as I have an alternate booking being held until today.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,429 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Torres Del Paine - Open or closed????

Will they reprogram you to one of their other hotels? Or were you thinking of somewhere else?

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Torres Del Paine - Open or closed????

You can take a look at the map posted on www.allchile.net link I posted above, the main area open for visitor access is projected to be the Las Torres properties (ie those owned by Fantastico Sur) which would allow you to hike to the towers and to the back side of the circuit, but not to French Valley.. It does not look like Explora will be open nor the road along the south side of the park, nor the catamaran.

The properties owned by Fantastico Sur don't give you the classic view of the Cuernos which many people would want to see as part of a visit to TdP.

Also consider that they are reporting winds are still a factor and the fire is not completely extinguished, so you may experience smoky conditions downwind.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,429 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Torres Del Paine - Open or closed????

Partially open from tomorrow at 8 am.

tripadvisor.com/…37707470

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,429 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Torres Del Paine - Open or closed????

The Explora Patagonia, Pehoé and Lago Grey will not open tomorrow.

Puerto Natales...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Torres Del Paine - Open or closed????

Chilean Government has announced the partial reopening of Torres del Paine National Park for tomorrow Wednesday 4th of January at 8.00 AM .

JUST THE TORRES AREA, GET INFO HERE IN CHILE.