We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wangulen Odyssey

Which Torres del Paine National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
41 posts
224 reviews
Save Topic
Wangulen Odyssey

Have anyone used them before? we are thinking of using them for hiking the W.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,381 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wangulen Odyssey

I don't know the company, but there are a lot of companies working in the Patagonia market so it is impossible to know them all. What I can tell you is, firstly, you do not really need a guided trip to do the W. But if you wish to do so, then there are certain things which you should look for in a company.

You are better booking with a Chilean company or a company which has a permanent presence in Chile. This makes any issues you have easier to deal with rather than going through a third party to a travel agency based elsewhere. Time zones alone can make communication difficult.

Look at the home page. Are there any logos belonging to Sernatur (the Chilean tourist authority) like their quality symbol and, in the case of adventure tourism, CATA (the Chilean organization of adventure tourism). Sometimes there are other logos linking the company to other certification or qualifications.

Read the 'about us'. How much information does it give you about the guides? What experience do they have, what qualifications? What about languages spoken? You want a nice mix of your own language and Spanish. If you want any answers to your questions and don't see them addressed, email or skype and ask.

There may well be companies which offer a quality product but they are just new to the business and less known. Most of the big ones like Azimut and Latitud90 started that way. But the less information on the website, the more important it is that you communicate with them and get a clear view of who would be guiding you and what qualifications they have to do so. It's all in the details.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wangulen Odyssey

My husband and I traveled with them last March. They are fantastic! They organized a custom trip for us that included hotels in Santiago, Valparaiso, Puerto Varas, day hiking trips, kayaking and car rental in addition to the Torres del Paine trip and more. Everything they did was perfect! The hotels were great. All of the transportation was well organized. The rental car was even delivered to our hotel! We would recommend them without reservation. We have already told our friends and family to travel with them. They will take good care of you. And they are wonderful, fun guys.

Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1 post
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wangulen Odyssey

Yes. We travelled with them through Patagonia in 2007 and had a fabulous time. They take good care of their clients to ensure they enjoy themselves and have a great experience. In 2010 they organised a tour throughout Chile for us travelling by public transport. All our seats were in the front of the bus so travelling though the Atacama Dessert on a double decker bus was terrific. They also arranged our hotels and other side tours. I cannot speak too highly of Felipe and Perry they are honest caring people who will do their utmost to make your trip memorable.

2 New Zealanders

Redwood City, CA
Level Contributor
1 post
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wangulen Odyssey

We traveled with Wangulen in 2009 and everything was perfect. Additionally, we had a family emergency in the middle of our trip and my husband had to return to the US. Felipe and Perry helped us book his return trip, even letting us use their own home phone, and made sure we could get him to the airport and the rest of us onto the next leg of our trip. The service was very personal.

Our trip consisted of 2 nights in Santiago with day trips to a winery and Valparaiso, a penguin colony and kayaking on Puerto Montt, and a trip to Torres del Paine. It was arranged just for us, and everything was very smooth. I would travel with them again in a heartbeat.

Buchanan Dam, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Wangulen Odyssey

We traveled with Felipe and Perry through Patagonia in 2009.

One of the best trips ever, and we have been a lot of places and had a lot of guides. Only Southern Africa rivals this trip.

They are well organized and seek to schedule things the clients want to do. We wanted to see the "real estate" and get a feel for a part of the the world and its people in a place we probably never see again. That was what we got.

They also set up all our internal South American air travel, a pre-tour cruise from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas, a day tour to Chiloe Island after the tour, Santiago after the tour and all hotels when we were not with them. All went well.

Felipe's English is fluent and you will have no trouble with his accent. Perry's "Texan" made two other Texans feel at home.

They are well organized, really want their clients to get the most out of the trip and are pleasant to be around. We may not get to travel with them again, but wouldn't hesitate if the chance comes up.

Bruce and Betty

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wangulen Odyssey

Went on a Patagonia tour with them in November of 2010. Highly recommend them and am planning to travel with them again in other parts of South America in 2013. All tour guides were so accomodating and considerate. You will not be disappointed! Enjoy!

Cyndee Z.

Edmonton, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Wangulen Odyssey

We (two couples) recently used Wangulen Odyssey for our travels in Chile and Argentina and can't say enough about the terrific way they accommodated all of our requests. A trip that was planned very last minute, all came together with their help. Felipe put together an itinerary that included all of the highlights we wanted to see and made sure that our flights, transfers, hotels and guided tours were all booked and coordinated. He even phoned our hotel on two occasions to make sure that everything was going according to schedule and that we were enjoying our travels. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend their conscientious and honest services to anyone preparing to travel in these countries!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
41 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wangulen Odyssey

Thanks everyone! We are on our last leg of our trip, and everything went amazingly smoothly! There were 5 of us with different arrival and departure schedules and Felipe and Perry did a great job coordinating all the different schedules.

We hiked the W, then to El calafate, then El chasten and now in buenos aires. Highly recommended!

Houston, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Wangulen Odyssey

My friend and I recently returned from an 11 day trip Chile that was fully coordinated by Felipe and Perry. Our entire journey was worked out in advance (with a complete itinerary), and required little more than us than choosing what to eat for dinner each day.

We chose a "Taste of Patagonia" which took us from Santiago to Puerto Natales to Puerto Varas and back to Santiago via plane. Despite knowing little about the transportation systems, activities and excursions in each area, how to get good deals, where to stay, or even the language, we quickly realized that everything was expertly taken care of and that we chose wisely with booking through Wangulen. Every detail was perfectly executed and our accomodations included some of the best hotel rooms available on the property. (Note: would highly recommend the upgraded hotels in Puerto Natales...amazing).

For those who prefer a nice blend between being able to have some independence to explore an area on your own, while also participating on day tours to some off the beaten path locations, this was a perfect itinerary.

Like visiting friends in their home town, Felpie and Perry have a sincere interest in seeing that you have the best possible visit.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wangulen Odyssey

Perry and Felipe organized all logistics for us on our recent trip to Patagonia, despite our last minute confirmations. We had a great time, and everything was in order down to the last detail (very precious when you're arriving past midnight, comatose from insufficient sleep, in a foreign country and having to transfer to yet another flight in a different airport). Patagonia, of course, captured my heart, thanks in part to lack of worry from logistics

I'd use them again.