We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tent for W-Trek

MrP
Toronto
4 posts
Save Topic
Tent for W-Trek

Planning on doing W-Trek in early March staying a few nights in the refugios and a few tent camping.

I have heard stories about the wind/rain tearing tents apart. Can someone recommend a good lightweight 2-person tent that they have used that would withstand the wind/rain of the Torres Del Paine?

Also, if tent camping at a refugio campsite, are you allowed inside the refugio to use the facilities inside (showers, restrooms, meals, common area, etc.)

Thanks for any advice

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tent for W-Trek

We did the circuit in March and used a Black Diamond Skylight tent. It's a single wall tent, three season tent. It's technically a three person tent, but just right for two. This tent was a champ! Several times we had some wicked winds/rain and it was great.

The one drawback however is that the tent poles go on the inside. This takes a little getting used to and makes set up a little more difficult if you are use to the other style tent. But despite this, we still love the tent (a big plus to us is that there isn't an additional rain fly).

You can read a lot of reviews and get advice at the gear forums on backpacker.com. That might be a good place to check out some more options for tents.

We camped every night, but often purchased a meal, shower, or drink at the refugios. Be warned - they are pricey (but worth it for us). Have a great trip!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tent for W-Trek

I'm partial to MSR and BIg Anges. Both very good companies. You should be good with a 3-season, backpacking tent. Camping areas in TDP are typically in fairly protected areas, but the winds can be fierce. For this reason, if you have more of a 4-season or a tent rated as 'expedition' rate, it wouldn't hurt to utilize. I have had poles bend but not break on my backpacking tents.

Cheers,

Jordan

Puerto Varas, Chile
Level Contributor
474 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tent for W-Trek

I recently saw this website that searches deals on high end expedition material , including tents, give it a whirl

http://jemandes.com/

by an American based in Patagonia

Puerto Varas, Chile
Level Contributor
474 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tent for W-Trek

another one jemandes.com/mountain-hardwear-habitat-5-ten…

5. Re: Tent for W-Trek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 24, 2011