We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you choose late November or mid-March?

Georgia
Level Contributor
659 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Would you choose late November or mid-March?

Hi everyone,

I'm sure that the question of when to go to TdP has been asked and answered..but I've searched the board and have found nothing definitive about which month would be better. On the Chilean National Parks page, it says that generally November is the windiest month, but March is the rainiest month (although I'm sure there is wind and rain throughout the year). Spring wildflowers would be nice.. but then again so would autumn colors (assuming trees/grasses are turning by mid-March ??).

We will most likely be taking a deep breath and staying at Explora... so camping won't be an issue for us...

I suppose most of you have gone only during one of these seasons and not both, so you cannot directly compare the two.. but any info/advice you might have would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
92 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would you choose late November or mid-March?

Hi,

You can never tell with Patagonia. I have been in both months and on both occasions had sunny, cloudy and rainy days.

Maybe Mid March could be a better option.

best

Ecotours Chile

Georgia
Level Contributor
659 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would you choose late November or mid-March?

Thanks, Ecotours. Actually, mid-March works a lot better for us in terms of our work schedule... so it is good to hear that you think it might be OK to go at that time.

I appreciate your quick reply.

Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
92 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would you choose late November or mid-March?

You are welcome

O think that March will have less wind too and our summer is ending, so you'll have great chances of sunny days.

I send you a private message, check it out.

best

Ecotours Chile

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
29 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would you choose late November or mid-March?

We are in Pehoe now, having driven in from El Chalten yesterday (by the way, it was a bit of a challenge with very few road number/name signs to confirm that you are going the right way. Very difficult also finding the entrance to the national park but eventually we did by chosing a road at the last fork that mentioned 'Pehoe'). El Chalten was unbelievably windy but here at TDP it is quite calm. Temperatures around 50 F and some clouds and sun. Very pleasant and quite un-busy which we love.

Georgia
Level Contributor
659 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would you choose late November or mid-March?

Thanks for the report, Mimf! I hope the remainder of your trip is wonderful! I would look forward to reading a trip report when you return.

6. Re: Would you choose late November or mid-March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 20, 2011