We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Buenos A. to Torres del Paine -- or ?

New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Topic
Traveling from Buenos A. to Torres del Paine -- or ?

My wife and I would like to spend five days or so in BA, and then as many days of adventure in Tierra del Fuego.

Would it be easier to get from BA to Parque Nacional Torres del Paine or to PN Tierra del Fuego? Does one offer more (and more diverse) flora and fauna to see than the other?

We're going in November.

Thanks in advance for all advice.

Peter Pullman

Mentioned in this post
Torres del Paine National Park
Torres del Paine...
Magallanes Region, Chile
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Buenos A. to Torres del Paine -- or ?

Peter,

For getting to Torres Del Paine there are really two options. You can fly to El Calafate (jumping off point for Perito Moreno Glacier) and then head south overland (stopping in El Chalten to access the hiking in Parque Nacional Los Glaciares would then be called for) before crossing the border and continuing overland to Torres Del Paine. This however, would require 7-8 days to justify the method of travel. Otherwise you can buy a flight from Buenos Aires to Punta Arenas, Chile which is about 8 hours overland from the park and access it that way.

Getting to PN Tierra Del Fuego would be straightforward -flying direct to Ushuaia and going overland from there. A slightly longer flight, but shorter overland trip from airport to park. Really the travel is comparable and I would urge you to base your decision based on destination pro's/con's for your interests.

In my opinion, Torres Del Paine offers the best scenery and more diverse travel experience when comparing the two. Tierra del Fuego has a much less extensive trail system. Besides more trails in Torres, there is the option to lodge within utter natural beauty, whereas in Tierra Del Fuego you must return each day to Ushuaia -- don't get me wrong thought that's a pretty town.

I hope that helps you in your initial planning. Feel free to be in touch.

Sincerely,

Jordan Harvey

Knowmad Adventures Co-Founder

Mentioned in this post
Torres del Paine...
Magallanes Region, Chile
El Calafate
El Calafate
Province of Santa Cruz, Argentina
Perito Moreno Glacier
Perito Moreno Glacier
6,202 Reviews
Los Glaciares National Park, Argentina
El Chalten
El Chalten
Parque Nacional Los Glaciares
Parque Nacional Los...
9,674 Reviews
El Calafate, Argentina
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Punta Arenas
Punta Arenas
Magallanes Region, Chile
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
Province of Tierra del Fuego, Argentina
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,110 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Buenos A. to Torres del Paine -- or ?

There are no direct flights to Punta Arenas from Buenos Aires that I know of. You would fly to Santiago and connect there. You would also have to pay the reciprocity fee if flying into Santiago on an international flight if you are US citizens, US$131 each (if it has not already risen to $140 in line with the rise in the US visa charges). If you are flying into BAires you will already be paying a fee, so best to avoid a second one.

It makes more sense to either fly BA/El Calafate with a side trip to El Chaltén if you want, and cross by land to TdP. You would need to see if there were lodging options available this close to your dates. Public transport from El Chalten goes via Puerto Natales for TdP but there are two companies which do tours to the park direct from El Calafate, Always Glaciers and Chaltén Travel. The day trip is not worth it as it is simply too long a day. They can drop you one day and return you another though. You could just manage a couple of days for TdP in your 5 days but it would be rushed and involve a lot of time on a bus.

I would either do Ushuaia/Tierra del Fuego or El Calafate/El Chaltén with your time available and starting in Buenos Aires.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Arenas
Punta Arenas
Magallanes Region, Chile
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Santiago
Santiago
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
El Calafate
El Calafate
El Chalten
El Chalten
Puerto Natales
Puerto Natales
Magallanes Region, Chile
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
Province of Tierra del Fuego, Argentina
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Buenos A. to Torres del Paine -- or ?

Peter,

Dancing Molly raises good points that you would need to fly through Santiago and pay the hefty airport tax on the way if traveling to TDP not via Calafate.

If choosing to go to Torres Del Paine and going via Argentina, the Calafate route makes the most sense for almost all itineraries.

I would still encourage condsidering Torres however for the reasons I stated, and perhaps think about shuffling your allotted times to make it work.

Cheers,

Jordan

Mentioned in this post
Santiago
Santiago
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
Torres del Paine...
Magallanes Region, Chile
Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
92 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Buenos A. to Torres del Paine -- or ?

Peter the best option is to buy BSAS/Calafate/BSAS ticcket.

There are regular buses that goes from Calafate to Torres del Paine back and forward.

Best

Ecotours Chile

Mentioned in this post
Torres del Paine...
Magallanes Region, Chile
5. Re: Traveling from Buenos A. to Torres del Paine -- or ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 21, 2011