We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hosteria Las torres excursions

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hosteria Las torres excursions

This hotel offers a number of excursions into the park. Any recommendations on the best excursions to take (which do not involve horse back riding).

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hosteria Las torres excursions

The hosteria guides give a presentation each night telling you about the excursions offered the next day. This is well worth going to as it will help you decide which (if any) you want to do. If you can get the guides by themselves away from other guests they can be helpful in giving advice if you want to go off and explore by yourselves.

The Full Paine is a good introduction to the park. This also comes with an option of a cruise on Lago Grey. None of our group were signed up for the cruise so we took the whole day on the trip. If anyone on the trip is doing the cruise then it could be a bit of a rush to get to Lago Grey in time for them to board. Also the rest of you are left to amuse yourselves until the cruise comes back. This won't be much fun if it starts to rain... So if you are not wanting to do the cruise it might be worth checking with the guide whether anyone on the trip is doing it and what happens to the rest of you while you wait.

We didn't sign up to any other excursions. We had bought this map before we went to Chile:

stanfords.co.uk/stock/…

which marked walking routes in the park with an estimate of time needed and used this to plan our own trips.

There are some nice walks from the Hosteria. It is at the start of the Towers path. It is worth doing the start of this, even if you don't get all the way. (We gave up when we hit the wind funnel in the gorge. The wind was gusting so strongly we could hardly stand and there was fine snow blowing directly into our faces so we decided it wasn't much fun and went back.)

It may be boring but it is a nice walk along the road back to the main gate and you get good views of the Towers from here. There are assorted tracks off which you can explore. There is also a short nature walk from the grounds of the Hosteria.

Some people did a half day excursion to a cave with 7000 year old cave paintings. Talking to them afterwards I gather it was a nice walk but they were distinctly underwhelmed by the paintings. General consensus was it was expensive for what it was.

Have you found this website which has a lot of useful information:

gochile.cl/eng/…Torres-del-Paine-1.asp

Do you know about the bar menu tucked away beneath the bar counter? It is available for lunch or evening meals. We found the evening meals weren't to our taste so we ate from this every night. It had a good range of sandwiches which were filling and reasonably priced.

The packed lunch was very expensive and contents were very thin for the price. Stock up on packets of biscuits before you arrive (there are very limited options for buying food once in the park) and eat a big breakfast.

There is more detail about our stay here:

www.slowtrav.com/tr/tripreport.asp…

Pictures are here:

…mac.com/wasleys/…index.html

We didn't want to do any horse riding either...

Eleanor

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hosteria Las torres excursions

If you don't have a car, the Full Paine is really the only way to reach Glacier Grey. I recommend it as well as the glacier cruise, for which you will need to pay an added amount, since it isn't operated by Las Torres.

I also would not pass up the walk to Las Torres. It is a long long day but worth it if the weather is good. The last bit over the moraine field is the most difficult and I do recommend hiking poles to take some of the stress off of the knees on the way back down.

Why don't you want to do the horses? They have an option to use them on the first part of the hike to Las Torres, which would be my recommendation, since that first hill you need to go up and over isn't much fun.

A lot of people like the easy hike along Lake Nordenskjöld.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hosteria Las torres excursions

you can fall off horses.....

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hosteria Las torres excursions

Thank you Elenor for your detailed reply to my posting. We had previously stumbled onto your online photos of your Patagonia trip, and were amused by the caption where your husband was sending you over the suspension bridge first to make sure it was safe for him.

Also, thank you mlgb for your comments on excursions. To answer your question, I am not very experienced on horses, but, more importantly, I find riding horses quickly becomes uncomfortable for me since I am not equipped with adequate padding in the posterior.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hosteria Las torres excursions

I can't take any credit for the photos and web site. They are all Michael's work.

He also knows I hate suspension bridges. He's very good at blocking entry to them so preventing other people from going across while I inch my way over.

Enjoy your trip. It is a marvellous place.

6. Re: Hosteria Las torres excursions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:28 am, December 07, 2010