We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

punta arenas to torres del paine to el calafate

Which Torres del Paine National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
punta arenas to torres del paine to el calafate

hello!

i am getting into punta arenas around noon, on feb 23, and have to fly out of el calafate at 6 pm 3 days later (feb 26).

in the meantime i would like to see torres del paine and the perito moreno glacier. what is the best way to do this?

does this sound like a good plan or is it better to stay in the park?

day 1

get into punta arenas, take the bus to puerto natales and spend the night there

day 2

visit torres del paine -

should we spend the night in the park?

day 3

return to puerto natales.

puerto natales to el calafate

day 4

visit perito moreno glacier during the day

flight out of el calafate at 6pm

(is this going to be a tight squeeze?)

looking for some advice on how to do this.

how long does it take to get from puerto natales to the park and what are our travel options? taxi? car rental? bus?

can we take a bus straight from the park to el calafate or do we have to go back to puerto natales?

should we stay in the park on from day 1?

thanks very much!

Rancagua, Chile
Level Contributor
186 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: punta arenas to torres del paine to el calafate

You won't be able to do that... maybe...

Day 1 OK

Day 2 OK, There are no buses from the park to El Calafate. I'd return to Pto Natales that same day. 3 hours each way. (buses or rent a car)

Day 3 Buses leave from Pto Natales to El Calafate ONLY at 8:00 AM (Cootra and other bus company) 5 hours to El Calafate. (I went on Feb 2009)

If you arrive to el Calafate on day 3, you would just have a short time to visit the glacier. So...

Day 4 OK

Cheers

netherlands
Level Contributor
672 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: punta arenas to torres del paine to el calafate

A couple of days a week Zaahj also has services leaving at 2.00 pm.

losglaciares.com/es/calafate/traslados.html

New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: punta arenas to torres del paine to el calafate

ok thanks.

i decided to stay in tdp national park for days 1 and 2, checking out on day 3. spend day 3 traveling to el calafate.

my new question is, what transportation can I take to get from las torres patagonia (a hotel inside the park) to el calafate?

can i arrange for this in advance?

thanks.

Rancagua, Chile
Level Contributor
186 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: punta arenas to torres del paine to el calafate

Are you sure you'll be able to get to the park on day 1?

From the park to El Calafate:

You'll have to check with the hotel. Maybe they have a private service doing so, but I seriously doubt it. Maybe you can get transportation to P. Natales, and from there, take the buses to Calafate.

Check this with your hotel!

Edited: 7:40 am, January 12, 2010
Blairsville, Georgia
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: punta arenas to torres del paine to el calafate

My suggestion for the second day is to return to Puerto Natales and get the regular bus in the morning to El Calafate.

If you stay in the park there are a transfer which begin to get passenger at 06:00 from Hotels in Lago Grey, through Río Serrano Area and arrive to cerro Castillo to match with the regular bus to El Calafate. Price is USD 80, with 2 passengers minimun. This service is arranged by a regional Travel Operator.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
842 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: punta arenas to torres del paine to el calafate

I am in Puerto Natales now and Zaahj are advertisng three buses a day, two in the mornign oen in the afternoon. Cootra are advertising a bus in the late afteroon as well as their mornign bus(es) - we passed two today coming from El calafate to P.Nat

New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: punta arenas to torres del paine to el calafate

thanks for the info!

8. Re: punta arenas to torres del paine to el calafate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 19, 2010