We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Torres del Paine

Which Torres del Paine National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY, NY
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay in Torres del Paine

My husband and I are planning a trip to Torres del Paine in March 2010. We want to stay in/ very close to the park since we only have 4 nights in Patagonia. Unfortunately Explora is too expensive, so we were looking at Patagonia Camp and Las Torres. Do you think that one of these is a better choice? Is there anywhere else in the park to consider before we book? Also, both hotels offer an all-inclusive and half board option. Which do you think is better for an active young couple? Thank you!!

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Torres del Paine

The Explora is eye wateringly expensive. I can't comment on Patagonia Camp but we stopped at Las Torres last November. It is a super position at the start of the Towers path and there is plenty of scope for walking by yourselves from the hotel without a guide. The hotel runs several day or half day excursions which you can book once you arrive. The guides give a 'presentation' each evening about trips offered the next day. They will also advise you about options to do by yourselves if you talk to them privately.

We just booked B&B which worked well for us. The evening meals were expensive and weren't too our taste. Ask at the bar for the menu which is hidden under the bar and has a range of filling and cheap sandwiches. These provided a cheap and filing alternative to the restaurant. We did this for all our evening meal and also lunch if we happened to be around then. The packed lunch was also very expensive and very thin. It did not represent good value. We ate a large breakfast (self service and plenty of choice) and had come prepared with packets of biscuits etc which did us for lunch. This could well work out cheaper than either half or full board.

Eleanor

Edited: 5:53 pm, November 28, 2009
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Torres del Paine

I also did the B&B at Hotel Las Torres, and after the "W" I stayed at their Refugio Las Torres Central. Las Torres is well positioned for hiking to the Towers, but not for the views of the Cuernos or for reaching the rest of the park. (you have a long bumpy ride on a rutted road). I found Las Torres to be very well run. You can stay in the Refugio (basically a hostel but no public kitchen) and take the tours a la carte offered by the Hotel Las Torres. BTW it isn't necesssary to take a guide to hike to th Towers, just follow everyone else.

If you are planning on hiking you can book different refugios for each day, or take the catamaran/bus combo to Paine Grande (not as well run as Las Torres but a good location).

If you have a car then you can stay at some of the other lodges on the south side of the park which have a better view of the Cuernos. You will also be able to easily get to the Glacier Grey cruise point if that interests you. Another option is to stay closer to Rio Serrano rather than TdP park.

3. Re: Where to stay in Torres del Paine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, June 03, 2010