We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photo equipment packing list????

New Jersey
2 posts
Save Topic
Photo equipment packing list????

I am leaving on a trip to TDP in a few days.. and I was wondering what equipment other photographers consider essential. I will be there for a week and plan to do the "w" circuit and carry my pack. Photography is my main focus... clothing etc is secondary.

Any help would be greatly appreciate.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photo equipment packing list????

You might want to bring a tripod since the wind can be fierce enough that you won't be able to stand or even sit still.

I gather if you have SLR one of those polarizing filters is handy, very strong sunlight.

Lots of batteries!!!

Something for dealing with raindrops.

New Jersey
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Photo equipment packing list????

Do you have any suggestions on lens...I would like to pack as light as possible but still get great shots with my camera.

Thanks for the reminder to pack the polarizing lens.

When you mentioned something for rain... any suggestions?

Thanks

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photo equipment packing list????

I was glad I had several microfiber cloths, perhaps a lenshood would help. A few ziplock bags for carrying the camera in while hiking. In some situations all I could do was hold the microfiber cloth over the lens until I was ready to shoot, then wipe before and after.

I used a digital ultrazoom that was equal to 27 mm for wideangle (more wideangle is always nice for landscape but it was adequate). For a telephoto it was equal to 486mm, with the tripod it was fine for almost everything although obviously a giant telephoto would have been nice for the condors at great distance. But.... We definitely got close enough to the guanacos and to the penguins in Punta Arenas, and there was no problem at all with landscape shots.

The main thing is to bring lots of batteries (especially if you are camping where there is no charging equipment) and memory (or film). I even brought a second slim digital camera "just in case".

Are you taking a photo tour? The company Fantastico Sur that runs the lodges around Las Torres also specializes in birding and photography. I like the way they ran the refugios, and they have published some good guides to wildlife. So maybe even a day tour (or just reading through their catalogue) would be helpful in learning where the best photo stops are.

For some great gaucho shots hang around the Las Torres hotel around sunset when they round up the horses. Also I ran into them on the trail to Chileno Refugio.

…google.com/kiwifann/GauchosOfLasTorresChile…

Santiago
Level Contributor
493 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photo equipment packing list????

I would consider a wideangle (18 mm at least) because the mountains are really close, and you will want to put a lot of the landscape in your picture.

And of course a zoom to photography of animals (300 mm at least).

ziplocks are really usefull there...

good luck

5. Re: Photo equipment packing list????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, October 13, 2009