We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ubon to Pakse

Bangkok, Thailand
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ubon to Pakse

Anyone had recent experience of travelling from Ubon Airport to Pakse and back? Any tips, advice?

Nan Province...
Level Contributor
536 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ubon to Pakse

No, but I can tell you that the border Chong Mek is about 1 hr drive from Ubon Ratchathani and that from there to Pakse is another 1 hr drive. The roads are all good.

You can get visa at the border. When you come back to Thailand and do not have a visa for Thailand you will get a 15-day visa-free entry.

Mentioned in this post
Ubon Ratchathani
Ubon Ratchathani
Ubon Ratchathani Province, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ubon to Pakse

Thank you Ivo H.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
213 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ubon to Pakse

In April I did the reverse; Pakse to Ubon bus but caught the flight out the next day.

It took nearly 3.5 hours with over a half-hour border stop. I don't think there are many buses doing this route so you'll have to time your flight arrival to hook up with the bus. Or stay overnight in Ubon.

Bangkok, Thailand
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ubon to Pakse

Thank you kamaaina96822

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ubon to Pakse

I have done this trip a couple of times. The distance between Ubon and Paksé is about 140 km, all on good road : 90 in Thailand, up to Chong-Mek (border on Thai side), then 50 km from Vang-Tao (border on Lao side) to Paksé. There are taxis available at the airport which will take you to Chongmek for 1200B, then walk across the border and get another taxi from Lao side to Pakse for 800B (modern taxis). This is the quickest way.

Alternately, take a taxi or tuk tuk to the Ubon Bus Station where there is an International Bus to Pakse for 200B and takes 3 hours. Departure from Ubon: 9:30 and 15:30 (registration 30 min before departure.) The bus station is located near the supermarkets MAKRO and BIG C.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok, Thailand
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ubon to Pakse

That's great Greg B, v helpful, thank you.

Can you use THB everywhere or do you need USD or LAK?

I am booked to Ubon a.m. on 25/8, staying at Champasak Grand Hotel, returning 27/8 (visa run).

I'll let you know how I get on.

Any other recommendations?

Mentioned in this post
Champasak Grand Hotel
Champasak Grand Hotel
258 Reviews
Pakse, Laos
Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,006 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ubon to Pakse

I would say THb for the Thai side, US$ for paying visa, and then exchange money into Kip to pay everything in Laos. If you pay with THB or US$ there you get a worse exchange rate than paying with Kip.

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
Bangkok, Thailand
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Ubon to Pakse

Thank you Scotsman79!

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ubon to Pakse

If the bar/restaurant is open on the rooftop of Pakse Hotel it is an excellent place for a meal and drink. I used Thai baht everywhere in Pakse, it is pretty cheap so exchange rate didn't bother me too much.

Mentioned in this post
Pakse Hotel
Pakse Hotel
648 Reviews
Pakse, Laos
Bangkok, Thailand
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Ubon to Pakse

Thanks again Greg B - looking forward to it!