We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taiping Tours

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Taiping Tours

Hi,

My husband and I are travelling to Taiping in November 2013 and are not self driving so was wondering if anyone could give any recommendations for a tour guide/driver to take us up Maxwell Hill and to the Orang-utan Island. We only have 1 1/2 days in Taiping so would like to pre organise something before we get there.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

3 replies to this topic
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taiping Tours

Hi Kat 755, you do not say how long you are in Malaysia.

For Maxwell Hill you have to book in advance. They provide 4 wheel drives with driver. Just beware that Maxwell Hill is a rain shadow butt. Can be cloudy, cold or misty. Taiping usually gets the downpour. You could hike up in a day if you had the time. On a nice day its wonderful.

Taiping was a garrison town. You could explore the Brit Military and other Christian cemeteries associated with old Malayan history. St George’s Institution (ex De La Salle) and King Edward School are existing left behinds. The Lake gardens, a result of tin mining, are a place to relax.

Orang Utan island is about 90mins drive from Penang. Visit best organised from Penang

I’d suggest trolling the net to get some fits with your travel plans.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taiping Tours

Thank you for the information. Where exactly do we need to book for Maxwell Hill? Could we do this the day before?

Thanks again,

Katrina

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taiping Tours

Hi Kat, you said 1.5 days in Taiping, so I presumed you have a hotel booked. It’s not part of the deal but the hotel could get tickets for you on your day up as a favour. They have to get the tickets in the morning of the drive up

No, You cannot book in advance yourself, because if the weather is bad they do not drive up. The office site opens at 08:00am for the same day bookings. The drives end at 5:00pm I believe. There is a lodge for would be tourists but the name escapes me.

Bukit Larut is not on the open tourist must see as yet. It’s an old colonial hill station. It mainly caters for visiting locals with some connexion to Taiping. The drive up there is something to behold, baring in mind its hill side hogging 180 degree bends half an hour climb by “Land Rover.” A few years ago I did an early morning up and a 1:00 pm approx. down. Was lucky that the weather was lovely. You take what comes with this one. The flora and fauna are interesting. The sights are wonderful if the weather is in your favour… plus you have to appreciate what you are looking at!!! Look up the following sites for your planning:-

malaysia-traveller.com/bukit-larut-hill-reso…

http://taipingmaxwell.blogspot.co.uk/

http://junglewalla.com/maxwell-hill/

Try calling the phone numbers of Junglewalla for advice or a pot luck call to the Bukit Larut Recreation Office on 05-8077241.

Apologise for lack of real concrete info. Justin

Reply to: Taiping Tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Taiping