We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live Cuban Music

Trois-Rivieres...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Live Cuban Music

Hi

I used to travel to Melia las Dunas (been there 3 times) and I kept on going back as they have a cuban live band playing at night before the shows. People dance salsa it is great !

I now want to try another hotel in CSM,

I am looking for a hotel with a live band, (I mean cuban music, not rock music). Anyone has a suggestion ?

thanks!

Iglesia San Juan Bautista de Remedios
Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Scenic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Churches & Cathedrals
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live Cuban Music

Cubalover9999 - Most hotels from what I understand and from the ones I have stayed at all have live bands at night. I know memories has 2 live bands in the lobbies (one in each lobby playing different styles) and also they have a live band that does cover band music most nights outside the main theatre which is really good. I think you will be happy with any of the resorts for live music - perhaps other people can comment on other resorts...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,837 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live Cuban Music

Yeah, not sure any other hotels offer this... i know what you mean. That is the one thing that Dunas has that the others don't. That central plaza with dancing and live band every night. Other hotels have musicians in there lobby bar and sometime at theatre but a real live cuban band with salsa, bachata, merengue to dance like at Dunas every night, i haven't seen it. I have been to Playa, Buenavista, MCSM, Husa, Sol, Eurostars and they did not offer that. Yes people will say they have it but they probably haven't been to MLD to know what exactly you are asking for... yes the others have bands of all sorts playing classic cuban son like guantanamera and the like or musicians at the lobby playing jazz or classic. HUSA was what had the closest to what MLD offers but it was not everynight and not in a setting like MLD. Plus I would not rwcommend HUSA for other things.

I have been preaching to all management i've talked to at CSM to add this kind of feature to their hotel. That is the one thing missing. The one that distinguises MLD. My rant is over now. :)

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa...
6,976 Reviews
Cuba
Sol Cayo Santa Maria
Sol Cayo Santa Maria
2,828 Reviews
Cuba
Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live Cuban Music

Someone mentioned in a recent review of Playa Cayo Santa Maria, that there was a live band for dancing near the pool one or two evenings. I will be able to confirm this in a few weeks time. Apparently they now have live music in the lobby in the mornings as well as the evenings. This is usually a pianist and flutist, or something along that line.

Mentioned in this post
6,976 Reviews
Cuba
Trois-Rivieres...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Live Cuban Music

Hi to you all

Thanks so much for replying.

I am really looking for a real cuban "feel" in the music ; the band at Las Dunas had all the works ; trumpet, trombone, percussions, piano, flute, guitar, base, etc... it rocks ! aside from the beach, it was the best part of my trip. Dancing little salsa steps with the dancers from the hotel at night was great. I was hurrying up to have dinner to be able to attend their show between 8 and 9 pm every night. But the second year I went, they did not play every night, and other bands were playing rock standards, which is not what I am looking for, although they might be good musicians. Thanks again all for taking time to reply !

Trois-Rivieres...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Live Cuban Music

Hi Stingray

you mentionned earlier that you would be able to comment on the live music at the Playa Cayo Santa Maria a few weeks later....it's been about 2 weeks... have you been there yet ? I would love to know if there is some live cuban music either in the lobby or elsewhere... do people dance salsa ? I have seen a picture of the cuban day on this site here, posted by a reviewer, and people seemed to be dancing with hotel crew. Anyway, if you have news about that I would appreciate ! thanks ! :)

Mentioned in this post
6,976 Reviews
Cuba
Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Live Cuban Music

Hi Cubalover,

I am going April 13. So upon my return, I will let you know..if that isn't too late.

Yes, there was lots of dancing cuba day last time I was there...but that was in low season.

Hopefully it isn't different during high season.

Trois-Rivieres...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Live Cuban Music

great !

but you might be going there too late for me... I was planning on going on April 17 !

thanks anyway ! :-))

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
432 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Live Cuban Music

We love Las Dunas, and this is one of the main reasons why. We have also had great experiences with the food and of course, the staff!

9. Re: Live Cuban Music

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 04, 2015