We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Exchange

Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Currency Exchange

Is it cheaper to exchange canadian money at the airport, resort or bank? I would assume the bank would be the cheapest and the airport the most expensive. I'm staying at Melia Las Dunas, is there a bank close by?

Much appreciated.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,133 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency Exchange

The rate at the cadeca (exchange bureau) at the airport and at the hotel will be more or less the same.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,484 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency Exchange

When I have been there I made a point of looking at the airport and the hotel.

Both rates the same on the same day.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
164 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency Exchange

Just something to be aware of -- We exchanged Canadian cash on the first day at our hotel (Memories Paraiso Azul) and another day used our Visa to exchange instead of cash. Found out the hard way that

there is a service fee of 13% when you exchange cash and only 3% when you do it on Visa.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,133 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency Exchange

Love the beach, when was that?

Normally, they should have charged you only 3%, just like for money exchange. So they must have scammed you by charging you 13%...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
164 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency Exchange

That was January 7th. Our taxi driver was waiting and I was too tired to question anything about exchange rate. The next day when it cost me basically on-par I questioned him and he said I must have used cash...

I had enough money at that point and didn't try cash again.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
4,903 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency Exchange

Lovethebeachsand, were you changing American dollars?

There is a 10% surcharge on American dollars, but not on Canadian dollars.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,133 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency Exchange

Well, either the employee made a mistake or he/she scammed you, but there is no 13% fee. It's 3%, just like for exchanging cash. Sorry that it happened to you.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
98,821 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency Exchange

Travelling_Dixie:

Check out Martian24's Inside Page on Cuba:Currency Exchange at this link:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147270-c109329/Cub…

PEI
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Currency Exchange

Pls excuse the ignorance, but I have never been to northern Cayos. Always have been amazed by knowledgeable TA posters suggesting using the hotel desk for money exchange. Is there a separate cadeca at each hotel location or are the hotels providing a fair rate? Your options must be fairly limited at this point. Is the rate at Jardines del Rey Airport inflated? Changing money at any hotel I frequent in other parts of Cuba would be a last case scenario.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
98,821 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Currency Exchange

Beansntoast:

The rate at Jardines Del Rey airport is atrocious. Just ask Lenny aka bicycleman_8. Many of the hotels in Cayo Coco are rip off's as regards exchange rates.