We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

at Royalton

Toronto, Canada
14 posts
Save Topic
at Royalton

How much it costs, to call home (toronto/canada) from Hotel (Royalton)? I meant, phone charges

What all the typical tips expected? at restaurant / at pool / room cleaning etc. who all expect? I know, it will be personal opinion, but like to get some idea. Dollar a day per person good enough?

Is it better to get the $ conversion from home or better there at the hotel?

Edited: 6:28 pm, May 13, 2013
Riverview NB Canada
Level Contributor
393 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: at Royalton

No sure on the phone calls but I think somebody said it was around two dollars a min or more. You are better off to try to get a plan from your cell service provider. Texting would be cheaper.

You can't get CUC's (Cuban convertible Peso's) at home, they are available at the banks, one just outside of arrivals at the airport and there is another at the shopping place right next to the resort, 3 min walk bring your passport. The front desk at the resort will change your money but you will not get the same rate the the banks give and they tend to run out of singles early.

Tips are up to you, we left 3 Peso's to the maid every day ( 1 Peso = 1$Cdn roughly), 2 for breakfast and dinner and 3 for supper. Bar staff usually received 1 peso for a set of drinks and we gave more at the end of the trip to the staff that provided us outstanding service. But that is us other people are different as we saw a lot of people not tipping. Do not give them Canadian loonies and toonies as they can't change them. They will accept paper canadian money.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
8,852 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: at Royalton

No wonder they love Canadian's !

Also no wonder they think money grows on our trees. lol

Lenny

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: at Royalton

Hola

lenny lenny lenny....lol.

cheers

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
8,852 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: at Royalton

You know I would gladly leave the maid $3 CUC each day if she'd close the freaking door while she cleaned so I wouldn't have to spend an hour hunting down all the mosquito's that she let in !

Lenny

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: at Royalton

Hola

funny I asked the maid that same question last week, she told me, she had to have the door open and this was the rule, also for her protection, at least the MCSM have the mosquito netting around the bed...lol.

cheers.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
8,852 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: at Royalton

Ya I know it's a rule HOWEVER I have even offered to pay for another maid or security to stand guard while she cleans , no deal. I usually just tell her to leave towels & tp and leave. lol

Lenny

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: at Royalton

I'm still laughing.....Hey lenny is that what the do not disturber sign is for?…lol.

Toronto, Canada
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: at Royalton

thanks Sunriseonthebeach

I meant buy CUC from home country.

Anyways, just spoke with virgin mobile (my current cell company) they have a package $80 for 40 roaming minutes to cuba.

virginmobile.ca/en/…

Still very very expensive. Cuba falls in Zone3.

Edited: 12:49 pm, May 14, 2013
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
637 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: at Royalton

You can't buy CUC from your home country. The only place you can get them is in CUBA. It is a closed currency. It is only used in Cuba.

10. Re: at Royalton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 19, 2014