We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gmail Access

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Gmail Access

Last time I was in Santa Maria, I could log onto hotmail, but not onto GMAIL - not for the entire week.

Is this still the case? I don't know if Gmail was blocked intentionally or not?

Understanding the internet is still painfully s.l.o.w, I wasn't sure why Gmail was an issue.

Gracias ;)

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,229 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gmail Access

I have never had an issue logging into gmail from anywhere in Cuba, and have used it from CSM every year, most recently last September. However, this is one reason why it is useful to have more than one email account! Es Cuba. ;-)

One thought, if you are using gmail in the "normal" view, it is a space hog and will load slowly. Configure it to basic HTML and you may have more success.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gmail Access

Gmail is definitely not an issue in Cuba it must have been the terminal you were using or the connection at the specific place.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gmail Access

I too always check my gmail from anywhere in Cuba. Like eeeefarm said, set your preference to html basic before leaving for Cuba. That way when you load it it will be a lot faster. I actually use the even bearer mobile version of Gmail.

CSM was slow but Jibacoa was surprisingly quite fast!!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gmail Access

Nadma: How did you like Breezes Jibacoa?

My wife and I went recently as well it just wasn't for us.

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gmail Access

We were @ MCSM in March and could not access Hotmail at all. I have also tried to send emails to friends there via Hotmail unsuccessfully. Gmail should work fine though.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,029 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gmail Access

I never had problems with hotmail nor gmail. I used both and I have friends in Cuba with both.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gmail Access

ddcuba37: I liked it... overall. I was travelling solo and found it hard to make friends there unlike Cayo Santa Maria. I loved the setting and the hotel itself. Wasn't crazy about the beach as I am not a snorkeler. I think I would go back but only with my boyfriend as I think this hotel caters mostly to couples.

8. Re: Gmail Access

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 17, 2013