We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memories Paraiso/Azul - Diamond Club/Sunwing

Nanaimo, British...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Memories Paraiso/Azul - Diamond Club/Sunwing

Hubby and I just returned from 2 weeks (Apr 17 - May 2). Stayed on the Paraiso side of the Memories resort, did the diamond club upgrade and flew Sunwing out of Vancouver, BC. First time to Cuba. Rented a car and drove to Havana. Did the bus tour to Trinidad. Ages 39 and 48 and travelled with another couple (late 20's) for the first week). Any questions? I'd love to offer my opinion / thoughts on the trip / resort / etc. (Our review to follow shortly).

vancouver
Level Contributor
228 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memories Paraiso/Azul - Diamond Club/Sunwing

Hi, we are leaving on the 15th, and of course have seen some not so happy people. Especially the bugs and fly situation.

Just want your take on the whole place and experience and would you return to this resort?

Nanaimo, British...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memories Paraiso/Azul - Diamond Club/Sunwing

First impressions were really good, diamond club check in was slick and they greeted us at the front with a glass of champagne...and that seemed to be the most organized and best of the service we received for the balance of the trip.

The facilities are great and their infrastructure is all there to make this a really great place. The rooms were large (for hotel room standards) and clean...no creepy bugs (or bed bugs) in our room, no issue with ants either and we were ground floor. The pools are big and nice, lots of chairs too. If we couldn't find a chair at the party pool, we just went to the quiet pool and had no trouble getting one. The lobby bar atmosphere was great and we enjoyed the grill bar at night after dinner and met some great people (other tourists, not wait staff).

I had low expectations for the food (it is Cuba!) but still was disappointed. Not much in the way of fresh vegetables or salads but if you took took the time to stand in line at the grill, it was fresh and eatable at least. If you like snacks (chips, etc) bring your own...the "24 hour" "snack bar" isn't either of those things. We did stop eating breakfast at the buffet and instead did the grill bar for breakfast...fresh cooked to order omlettes and smaller lines.

A tour guide told us that Cuba is the land of lines and he was quite right. We also found it was the land of "no's"...no ketchup today, maybe tomorrow. No cheese today, maybe tomorrow. No beer at this bar today, maybe tomorrow. My husband summed it up by saying "regardless...you will wait...for whatever level of service they decide to give you at any given time". We found there was no service culture here and no recognition from bartenders or wait staff throughout the day/night regardless of tipping or not (the tips seemed to make no difference). Toward the end, we just got used to it and said whatever and let it go.

The beach is amazing, amazing, beautiful, awesome and really saves this place. Most days were red flag but we played in the waves anyway. The waves weren't really rough and not much undertow.

I don't know if it was just this resort or the entire country but we can now say we have done Cuba and it is unlikely that we will go back. We have visited Nuevo Vallarta twice, same resort and loved it. We will go back to Mexico for the service, the food and the friendly people.

North Sydney, Canada
Level Contributor
413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memories Paraiso/Azul - Diamond Club/Sunwing

I would....and will return. I had no problems with the food, waited in lineups for only a few minutes, always had lots of veggies, cheese, and whatever else I was looking for....was pleased to have a lovely turkey dinner one day for lunch.....including mashed potatoes. I also found that tipping does not get you better service...the service was excellent whether we tipped or not ! They do appreciate a friendly smile and an attempt at speaking a little spanish, which is reasonable since we are visiting a spanish speaking country.

Our favorite daytime drink turned out to be "ruminade" at the quiet pool, lol.

The rum helped take the too sweet taste away from the lemonade !

Have fun wantsmore....it's a great resort !

vancouver
Level Contributor
228 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memories Paraiso/Azul - Diamond Club/Sunwing

Thanks everyone for your reviews, it sure does vary from one person to the other. It seems like we are going to have to just go and let the chips fall where they may. As for tipping I will of course do this, but maybe not as much as I do in Mexico where they seem generally happy to receive tips. If the service sucks either way, that may sway my decision. But will give it a try and see how it goes.

5. Re: Memories Paraiso/Azul - Diamond Club/Sunwing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:42 am, June 22, 2013