We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beaches / jellyfish compared to other parts of Cuba

London, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
beaches / jellyfish compared to other parts of Cuba

People seem to talk about jellyfish alot in Cayo Santa Maria, is this area prone to more jellyfish than Varadero or Cayo Coco?

I know there may or may not be jellyfish during our trip, but are we more likely to experience them here?

I'm looking at the Barcelo and the beach looks awesome, is it pretty shallow (so you can walk out far?)

We'll have a 20 month old, so we would prefer a shallow beach.

Will I find that here? Would Cayo Coco be better sutied for us?

Oh it will be towards the end of November so hopefully no hurricane with jellys to follow.

Iglesia San Juan Bautista de Remedios
Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Scenic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Churches & Cathedrals
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beaches / jellyfish compared to other parts of Cuba

We've been to the Melia Las Dunas three times and this summer, it was the first time with jelly fish. That said, I can't say about other parts of Cuba, but I wouldn't rule out cayo Santa Maria for that right now.

As for a shallow beach, my opinion on that would be Cayo Coco or Cayo Guillermo. The beach at Cayo Santa Maria isn't as shallow. I find it normal. Some periods of the year it's calmer than other, but again that can change.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,482 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beaches / jellyfish compared to other parts of Cuba

Hola

Have been 4 times to cayo santa maria, never saw one of the blue type of jellyfish(Dec, Jan, Mar and April) also only saw a few of the clear type. My wife got stung on the neck, like a bee sting....she said it was no big deal.

Have been to Breezes Jabacoa twice, Dec, many of the blue type, notgood, they seemed to come in the morning, the bleach was not closed, but did dig more than a dozen holes to put them into. In June no problem, none.

The beach at MCSM is not shallow, does drop off once your get in....then will level out.....

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
445 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beaches / jellyfish compared to other parts of Cuba

Stayed at the Royal Hideaway last year ,no jelleyfish, best beach ever ,could walk out 100feet and water up to your knees ,pure sand bottom as far as you can walk, no waves because of coral reef out one mile in ocean. check out reviews and pictures

4. Re: beaches / jellyfish compared to other parts of Cuba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 11, 2010