We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations on where to buy pearls in Vaitape

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations on where to buy pearls in Vaitape

Hi,

I am heading to Bora Bora for my honeymoon in May (so excited)!! Im looking into where to buy pearls in Vaitape. I heard buying them direclty in Bora are a lot more expensive than in Vaitape. Can anyone recommend which shop/s they went to and also an indication on price of a single pearl.

Thank you!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations on where to buy pearls in Vaitape

I bought pearls from Nyko's, they are duty free and give you free Hinano Tahiti beer lol.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
13 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations on where to buy pearls in Vaitape

I bought my pearls at Tahiti Pearl Market after looking in a few different shops. I am very happy with my purchase, earrings and a bracelet. My sister-in-law had a necklace custom made. While we were waiting the shop called to see if Bloody Mary's was open for lunch that day, and the shops van dropped us off and picked us up, returning to the pearl shop so we could pick up our purchases. I'm not sure of the price of an individual pearl, that would depend on what grade it is.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations on where to buy pearls in Vaitape

Ok so go the the markets in Vaitape and you will see a pearl shop with the three munkeys on the roof (see no evil, here no evil & speak no evil) then the shop next too it has all sarongs and clothes all out the front for sale but walk into that shop and at the back of the store there is a guy who will make you what ever you want and at a really good price. My wife & I are here now for our honeymoon and i have to say he is cheap. ps: You are going to love it here.

Edited: 10:04 pm, February 18, 2014
Saint Augustine...
Level Contributor
23 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations on where to buy pearls in Vaitape

We just returned from Bora Bora and our Butler on our ship recommend deep water pearls. Our Butler does his buying there and the whole experience was no pressure and about helping me select the right item for me. We went there and found their pearls to be a good price and they were very helpful as I went in not knowing if I wanted a ring, earrings or what. You can get them set in silver or white/ yellow gold. Just don't buy pearls from the folks in the market by the water. Go to a store. They will prep the cert of authenticity and tell you how to file for the luxury tax rebate. It is easy and you just give the flogs at the airport in papette your paperwork and you are done. Just bake sure you buy petals that are in a setting otherwise I understand you have to pay the luxury tax.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations on where to buy pearls in Vaitape

Fantastic! Thank you everyone for your help and recommendations :)

Fishing-Duo I can't!! :) 3 months and counting! Have a great trip!!!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations on where to buy pearls in Vaitape

Thank you AmyGreen72 I had no idea about the luxury tax! I was actually thinking about getting the pearl set once I'm back home if the cost is really expensive in bora.

Wyomissing...
Level Contributor
2 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations on where to buy pearls in Vaitape

Try OPEC in vaitape....owner walked us through everything, including vat process. Also went to pearla, avoid, terrible service. Enjoy French Polynesia!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
396 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations on where to buy pearls in Vaitape

we bought ours at the hotel store (Sofitel)

happy with our purchase, and the guy who operated the store was awesome. Told us about the process, and he set the stones in the necklace right there.

would recommend that no problem, got all our certificates and duty free papers as well

Bora Bora, French...
Level Contributor
515 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations on where to buy pearls in Vaitape

I would suggest either Deep Sea Pearls or Arc en Ciel near the Maikai. Both have a great selection and decent prices, note that you are able to get taxes back at the custom regardless where you buy the pearls. Arc en Ciel probably has the largest selection of Geishi in Bora, they also favor buying pearl from the Gambier which are better quality imo.

Best.

USA
Level Contributor
200 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendations on where to buy pearls in Vaitape

We just returned from 11 days in Bora Bora. We went into Vaitape twice and I went into a LOT of pearl stores on the main street...there must have been at least seven or more within walking distance and as others have said some (like Arc en Ciel) will pick you up by van. I was looking for a pair of simple pearl studs set in yellow gold approximately 9 to 10 mm, high luster, round. I started at Robert Wan (the farthest away walking to the right) but thought their attitude was a bit haughty. They say he is the "Tiffanys" of pearls. OPEC seemed very high quality. Nykkos was very friendly but didn't have the color I wanted. Sibani was very willing to make what I wanted and had a lot of loose pearls but something just didn't feel right there. Tahia was beautiful but very expensive. I ended up buying my earrings at Tahitian Pearl Market. I also ended up buying a necklace with 3 pearls strung on cord woven through a hand-carved piece actual pearl shell at a store called Bora Home which is on the corner near the Ferry dock. They are more "artsy"/less traditional then the jewelry stores and hand crafted by true artisans...no less expensive though but do come with a certificate of authenticity and tax papers. Others have written here a "pearl will speak to you and you will know". Frankly, nothing spoke to me although I like what I bought. There are so many different colors it is all in what looks and feels best on you. Some stores did make me feel more comfortable than others. Some I lingered in, others I walked out of more quickly. I never did make it to the pearl shops at the other end of the street closer to the grocery store (Chin Lees). If you have time it may be a good idea to check them all out one day and then actually buy on another...I know a lot of woman on the ferry back to our hotel were saying that is what they were doing. The two items ended up costing approx $1,000 USD (300 earrings and 700 necklace)....NOT inexpensive but the only souvenir I wanted from French Polynesia and is about what I expected to pay. They say the pearls are less expensive in Papeete however we were not there long enough to know, basically flying in and out in the middle of the night.