We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

YVHR Yucatan Vacation Home Rentals - Casa at Calle 31

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Progreso hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
YVHR Yucatan Vacation Home Rentals - Casa at Calle 31

We rented from Yucatan Vacation Home Rentals detached house located at Calle 31 between 74 and 76 in Progreso. There was no house number, but I would guess #117 or #117b. There was no house number in our contract from some reason.

Anyhow we paid good money to stay there, $1300 + $200 for a 4-week period in February 2013. No pool, no A/C, no laundry....cockroaches, mouldy, horrible water pressure, one of two bathrooms totally useless...dusty backyard with dangerous sinkhole. If you have children, pets or allergies you don't want to stay there.

The very same day after we had paid in full, the property manager in charge, Maria Jose (who was actually the house owner) sent us an email from her private email address different from info.yvhr@gmail.com asking for more money.

Very busy and congested street and with no decent backyard to speak of. We had to sit outside in the front entrance garage area. While converted to a nice sitting area, it is still very noisy, dusty and smelly with vehicle exhaust from the street.

The house had a number of invisible problems. For example, as lovely as the master suite bathroom appeared, its underlying plumbing left a lot to be desired.

To my surprise, we were constantly harassed by the property manager and her disturbed (?) family members who did not speak any English. Accordingly I was not pleased with their inordinate behaviour which was especially disturbing when we were contacted either very late at night (10:30 PM they yelled in front of the house) or early morning (7AM on Sunday).

After we requested to speak to YVHR owner, we received additional rude letters from the property manager claiming YVHR owner was not the real owner, that she was aware of our dissatisfaction and simply she did not care. Short and sweet and all in writing....

When we returned home, we left the house in perfect condition and we left requested money for cleaning.

I have since received correspondence from YVHR "american owner" with a written apology. Too little, too late. I did not let any of this ruin my time spent in Progresso. But I offer it as a simple warning that if you do choose to rent from this group, you do so with an open and aware mind - Yucatan Vacation Home Rentals -YVHR is not american run business so lower your expectations accordingly. You will end up paying "gringo price" for horrible experience. Photos available upon request.

Toronto
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: YVHR Yucatan Vacation Home Rentals - Casa at Calle 31

Further to this I have received second "damage control" letter from YVHR stating the company had nothing to do with this fraudulent business swindle.

Please note we had a Rental Agreement on YVHR letterhead, signed by both parties;

April 25/2013 From YVHR Yucatan Vacation Home Rentals & Property Management:

"As much as I regret your bad experience last Feb/March, the fact is that YVHR was not involved. Our junior associate, having shown you a number of houses that YVHR represents, then showed you her mother's property, and you chose to rent that house. At the time of your rental, we did not represent that property. Instead, and at the request of the owner, we were waiting until all of the renovation work was completed before taking photos and putting the property on our website.

YVHR received absolutely no remuneration on that rental. Our trust and confidence in our junior associate was abused in that she represented that property and your rental agreement as being under the auspices of our company, but I can assure you that YVHR policies and philosophies were not reflected in your rental dealings last winter, and that we are thoroughly committed to guaranteeing that there will be no repetition of that failure, nor misrepresentation of our involvement.

You are right to post warnings, but YVHR has been wrongly accused. As for warnings to future renters, these would be mine. 1) If you rent a property that is on a main thoroughfare, be aware that there will be lots of traffic noise and pollution, at least on the street-side of the house. (2) If the property has "no decent backyard" when you go to see it, and you're moving in in a couple of days, there will still be "no decent backyard". This also holds true for "no pool, no A/C, no laundry"...if you want those amenities, do not rent a property that does not have those amenities.

One last clarification, while I am a U.S. citizen, I am proud to also be a naturalized Mexican citizen, and YVHR is, as you say, "not American run business". We are, however, dedicated to working with both renters and owners in an open and honest manner, presenting all renters the "extra" costs (weekly cleaning, for example) upfront so everyone knows what to expect, and providing whatever services are needed by the renters in order to make their stay more enjoyable. I regret that your rental experience was unpleasant, but again, your experience did not reflect our business practices at YVHR."

surrey
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: YVHR Yucatan Vacation Home Rentals - Casa at Calle 31

ostrog sounds like you didn't do your home work. you didn't check to see if there was a pool or ac or laundry which is rare.oh and by the way last time i checked toronto is still in canada

devon, alberta
Level Contributor
133 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: YVHR Yucatan Vacation Home Rentals - Casa at Calle 31

Having rented from YVHR from January - March/13 in Chichixlub - and having read the same story from these people - I am finding it all very hard to believe! Did you not see the house before you signed the paper - that sometimes were - other stories were not - on YVHR letterhead? Did the house move as I am sure it was on the street when you saw it? Did the pool disappear after you moved in ? Oh wait - it never had a pool? Was it the dead of night when you looked at the house as that is the only time the streets are quiet in Progreso (and maybe not even then)! Perhaps MariaJose made a mistake but I am sure she has paid for it! And did you phone Lynn or MariaJose to ask if they could move you to another rental? When you moved - did you leave a forwarding address or even a phone number to contact you at? If you want immediate reaction - phones work much better than e-mails! These gals were terrific - and take pride in that fact! They got me wifi, a BBQ, and out of a policia check stop all in less than a month! They are amazing! And found my lost mask at the rental house! Too bad you just didn't phone them to fix the so-called problems - some weren't fixable - can't move the house! YVHR are the best!!! If we hadn't bought a condo in Telchac - we would rent from them again this year!! Who will I call when the policia stop us this year! Plse don't happen!!! I LOVE YVHR!! (ps you are welcome Lynne, Gabriella, and MariaJose!)

Edited: 3:10 am, August 22, 2013
devon, alberta
Level Contributor
133 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: YVHR Yucatan Vacation Home Rentals - Casa at Calle 31

Just another point to ponder - your price of $1300 for 4 weeks was very cheap if you check out other sites and even rentals by owners! Their rates of YVHR is reasonable and negotiable to a certain extent. And if you have such a problem with YVHR - good thing you didn't rent from Yucatan Vacation Properties! They are really shady!

5. Re: YVHR Yucatan Vacation Home Rentals - Casa at Calle 31

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 24, 2014